Try All Sticky tire, should I even bother?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by planetary1, Apr 1, 2004.

1. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

I have to get a new tire next week. I can get, for exactly the same price, a Maxxis DH High Roller 2.5 SRY (my favorite the Minion is not available) or the Try All Sticky 2.5...I currently use the Minion DH SRY and I am in love with it...

I posted a question on trials forum UK and heard good things about the Try All tire but I wanted to ask you guys on this forum as well because there are a lot of experienced riders on here.
    So I already know how amazing the Maxxis SRY compound is, can the Try All compete or beat it? Should I even bother with the Try All? Anybody used it yet?
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i have one on my mod, it's the best tyre out ther e for mods. i know you're talkign about stock, but i'm real happy with mine so far. one pinchflat in 4 months now (i was gapping and kept barely hitting rim, needless to say with any tyre this would have happened). graham has one on the rear, and i can say when he was doing a huge up to rear it didn't slip. im not sure if the treads are different for mod or stock though>

3. RD_dAnKs

RD_dAnKs Guest

YEA REALY GOOD

4. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

i never pinched with my try all sticky saus tire ;)
    good stuff

5. Elan

Elan steve french

i woulkd never ride a slow reezay. try-all it is.

6. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

I hear for mod the Try-All is awesome, but it looks like youre interested in the stock Try-All tires.

Im running the front and rear Try-All tires ony my Zebdi. Ive ridden 90% natural since I got them about a month and a half ago and I ride just about every day, and for one week I rode about 5 hours every day (Spring Break). Im telling you how much I rode so you can have a little more perspective on what Im about to tell you. My Try-All's are TORN UP. Ive never seen a rear tire wear this fast, but it iiiiissss sticky, that's for sure. Plus Ive never flatted on the rear, once on the front, but I deserved it.

I run 28-30 psi in the rear Try-All and I experience no slippage, I love it. But before I knew it the tire was showing some serious wear. You can see the rubber just beeing ripped to shreads a lot more than a tire would normally wear. I imagine one of these could last an average rider one year, but I think Ill go through at least two if I continue to ride everyday.

I love this tire so far, but sometimes I watch the rubbery Maxxis grab some sick stuff and my jaw drops. I think Ill stick with Try-All though, theyre priced a bit better, sure you have to buy them more frequently, but me likey.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

i bet they last longer than SR maxxis, and are more grippy... how is fold over?

8. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

ehh.... its not as bad as a monty.. or a tioga.

still not perfect but its alot better than monty ;)

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

the stocks have a stiffer wall than the mod's do, go for it.

if you lived close id give you my minion, gay pos.

10. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

My comp 24.1 is worn to hell, and the try all rears are only 55 bucks CDN soooo, thats like half the price of the michelin. Been riding the michelin since june though with no flats. I dunno what to do.

Tires for trials are ok right now, but they still have a ways to go before they will be awesome.

11. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Andrew.. I know you hated the Maxxis at first. Still hate em? Or have you gotten used to the way they ride?
    Which are you running now?

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

minion dhr super tacky 2.5" . No interest in ever riding it again.

13. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I think I said this before, but I think the size of the tire has something to do with your problems. Try a 2.35 instead of a 2.5.

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

It's the size of the sidewall. Grip is very nice, I'll try a 2.35 but I dont' even want to pay cost for it so probably won't happen. Jeremy/etc. all run 2.5's and swear they are great. The 2.5 is still skinnier across than my 2.2 michelin was....

edit: fyi the try-alls are very squishy as well.

15. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Andrew its just a personal pref. go back to the michelin, its whatever makes you happy like vodka...it makes me happy now!

16. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

I've been running one in the rear now for about a month. No pinch flats yet and even on a hit that flat spotted my rim. Although I did run over a catus the other day........peeeeewwwwwwww. WTF, I thought this was colorado not arizona. Anyway, best grip of any tire I have run yet the downer to that is faster wear. If you are going to be riding a bunch of natural, this is your tire. If you are going to be riding urban, go for a michelin.

Andrew, we should hit up the tooth, found some okay stuff.

17. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

hey andrew, what don't you like about the maxxis exactly? grip, sidewall spring,etc.

My schwalbe is just a tiny bit too light in the sidewalls and i riding anything wet with a tioga is pointless so i was gonna try out maxxis.

and anyone know the weight of the try all rear stock tire?

18. crashnscar

crashnscar Guest

The only downside to them is that they wear really fast.... the highroller would probably do that also if you got the super tacky

19. AndyT

AndyT New Member

personal preference like dan says. I gap to something off camber, crazy angles- the tire fucking throws me in whatever angle that is: the michelin would just hit and stick, the maxxis hits and rebounds like 403 pounds of force and I just cant handle it....however the grip is fooking money, no chances of pinching it either. Grip is better than the michelin, not sure if its better than the try-all though.

I wore it down to 3/4 tread on 3 rides of urban in a few days....gives you an idea, since then I just rode natural. The maxxis is also a pooload heavier than my michelin, but the maxxis is very easy to get on and off (something good for lazy people like me....who don't even have tire levers) while the michelin is like stretching a babies anus to fit on a watermelon.

graham- I'd love to ride, won't be for over a week or so...burnt out to fuck.

20. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

yea no fuckin doubt the michelin is impossible to get off. i bent metal tire levers the first time i took the 2.5 mich off my alex rim.
    anyone try the light version of that michelin yet? the 900 gram one?