Trials Shoes...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Apr 18, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I was thinking of getting some, either the Monty or Try All ones.

Reason being...I have two pairs of skate shoes, both the bottoms are kinda worn and both of them are kinda sketchy on the grip. I know the pedals contribute (Odyssey Triple Traps) but man, I have these Adidas:

[​IMG]

that stick to them like GLUE.....my feet won't budge. Thing is though, the bottom of them isn't WIDE like a skate shoe is, so I sometimes get a cramp in my arch after alot of pedal kicks.

So Trials shoes, how well would they stick to the triple traps? I like the triple traps cause the platform is LARGE and it has a nice feel(and nice grip with the Adidas), and I know they grip well when I use my adidas shoes, so it's a only a matter of finding the right shoe, and more than likely trials shoes will solve the issue.

Is there any difference grip wise to the Monty or TryAll ones? I figure I mineas well get trials shoes and have shoes dedicated FOR bike riding....

2. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Like run DMC! I swore by my addidas for quite some time,but.They are
    like fuckin gremlins....DO NOT GET THEM WET! It's like you have teflon soles. I'm using Merrill trail running aproach shoes with really soft rubber
    minus the insoles.They make a sticky sole but it doesnt flax and it's very hard..? Plus platfom eastons with griptape.

Some may say "use the search function dickhead " But aside from maybe
    grinding some new info arises each time and makes the site seem a little busier.
    I guess you could add to that old topic though?

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Well, I lookeda t the other trials shoes threads, and nobody mentioned anything about triple traps, and everybody always said VP and trials shoes = glue foot.....but that's pretty much it.

I guess what I'm asking is which of the two shoes are better, and with trials shoes, do they grip ALL pedals fairly well compared to skate shoes?

4. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Fixed... and I'm just fucking around, you should see the shoes i bought as my next riding shoes when the ones I am wearing are toast. They're probably the ugliest green you've ever seen, like a pea/sea green mix :ugh:. Anyhow, I don't have any input for you on the genuine trials shoes, but if these things are working great for you, ride them til you wear them out and buy them again if they're cheap. Otherwise, you may want to give the tryall shoes a go when you're done with these, or perhaps those oh so tasty new coustellier shoes that will hopefully be introduced soon.

And as for the whole search crap, I'm guessing oicdn doesn't miss much that goes on here, he's a pretty active member. If his question had been answered before, he'd probably know about it :).

Bill

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...I did an OK search....didn't look for like an hour or anything, but I just browsed over the topics...

The shoes I have are Black and white versions of the ones pictured, but yeah, the sole at where my arch is gets about HALF the width of the rest of the sole., so my arch gets cramped after a couple PKs....it grips like glue, but eh....I wanna get something that I use JUST for trials, as these are getting trashed pretty quickly from daily usage of both casual wear AND bike riding.....

6. Elan

Elan steve french

basically any new style skate shoe works well... i bought try-alls for some reason, i like them ok.

7. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

HOw well do they work when they're wet?

8. Elan

Elan steve french

hahaha, they hold the water in, well...they are only water proof up to the ankles, not the knees.

9. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

yeah, elan went for a swim in them yesterday.....good times. They work really well in the wet however they are designed for cage pedals. aka. the rubber is soft. If you use pinned pedals, like I run, you'll blow up the soles pretty fast.

10. Elan

Elan steve french

yea, i like them on my vps so far

11. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

just get wide, pinned platform pedals. they'll solve all your problems, and you can wear any shoe.

or, do it j. scooby style and glue kenda sticky tires on the bottom of your shoes.

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I woudln't even touch VP's without trials specific shoes...when I ran platforms I just rode skate shoes (actually indoor soccer shoes sometimes too)- with big pins you won't slip anywhere. If you are running VPs or triple traps ( :ugh: ) skate shoes you are not bright.

13. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Well, I made an uninformed decision on my pedals. I want VP pedals, simply cause they were cheaper, but LBS rec'd I get the Triple traps, they gave me a deal ($10 for them) and I hopped on it. I probably should get VP's and Trials shoes....after I see if the trials shoes don't work out on the Triple Traps...