Trials on the news...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RyanMcVicker, Nov 7, 2004.

1. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I contacted Johnathan Pool and Dale Murray through email, and they said that they were going to try to put on a trials demo at the finish line of the iceman xc race in traverse city. So last friday, a day before the actual event went on, I drove down and found where they were and i met Johnathan Pool and a couple other guys from a local shop, it was really cool to actually meet jp in person. Unfortunately he had a broken hand so he couldn't ride. And dale murray couldn't make it. So that day i helped them out setting up some stuff, but they had it set up pretty good already with spools, tables, etc.. Then one of the local news reporters shows up with her camera, and decides to make a little story out of it, she interviewed JP and one of the very young riders from the shop. Then she recorded me, doing just pure trials. And later that night on the 11oclock news, it was on there! So jp did a little tutorial of what trials was about in his interview and then she put a pretty good amount of footage on the news of me hopping on my pure.

Later that day, i had to travel back up to my town harbor springs, and the next day we drove down and i rode from like 10am to 2:30pm and we had all the xc riders in the crowd just watching us. A couple other Fr/street guys joined in and did some bunnyhops to pictic tables/spin drop off/manual offs, while i did pure trials and the young kids from the traverese city shop were practicing there basic trials skills like trackstanding and getting over stuff. This one kid about my age (18) that was in the xc race came over and said that he rides trials on a desalvo. his name was isaac from warsaw indiana i think. It was awesome to meet some more trials riders. We sure put on a show for all the xc folks. JP also set up this low to the ground balance section with 2x4 skinnys so the xc folks could attempt the balance. I was able to record some footage of the demo area and riding, but not much of me.

I think JP told me that he had met some of the CO crew like AndrewT and KevinS, etc.. I thought that was awesome.

Maybe later i will try to get the news thing or the footage i recorded and put it on otn.

Just thought i would tell everyone the story. It was sure an awesome time. I can't wait to go to my first comp!

2. Trialsking

Trialsking Retired from Trials

That sounds great. Just riding with someone and in front of a crowd is so much fun.

One word of advice:

Ride the comp like you did the demo, relexed and fun. I was too nervous and thinking too much at my first comp. Just ride the sections and you will have fun.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

kevin and mike snider got on like page 98734 of the newspaper this week or somthing. i was like hey "i know those guys"

4. RyanMcVicker

lol, ya ive been in the paper before, a pic of me on some rocks

5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

mike snyder is on the cover of my towns phone book. Cole and I ripped it off :momaru:

6. RyanMcVicker

:rofl: hahaha, poor snyda. Does mike post on otn?

7. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

8. Elan

Elan steve french

wow.. kinda creepy matt.... :rofl:

9. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

My av or that I knew the member name of a guy i ride with who's been a member here since the site opened?

10. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

That's awesome...

My grandparents live there near Petoskey...I remember it was so cold there during winter with all the snow & stuff...definitely a harsh riding climate for trials :p

11. mhoulmont

mhoulmont Member

Hey, whats the name of the city your grandparents live in. I'm also from Petoskey.

12. BrettM

BrettM New Member

The last time trials was on the news in Victoria was for Back Yard Bash. The whole time one of the dudes is on camera talking aboots the deal Metchosin Joe is in the background with his pants down mooning the camera.

It's far enough back out of the picture that no one noticed and it got on the news, but plenty close enough to almost piss yourself laughing at it during the after party.

13. Darren

Darren New Member

does Joe still ride?

14. BrettM

BrettM New Member

Yup once in a while. He was just in one of my last videos. Very rare. Hes really into the 4x4 deal now.

15. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

They actually live there...my grandma used to own a bridal shop years ago before she sold it. All I remember is they have too much snow!

I went to the elementary school there once...forgot the name of it.

16. RyanMcVicker

I went to Ottawa elementary school in petoskey, so did mike (mhoulmont).

17. crazyshmee

crazyshmee Guest

i'm from Petoskey, too!!! imagine that. Ryan and Mike- we should meet sometime, maybe get some burgers, and go out riding. i know this one kid who rides a bike and he's cool. and this other guy i know has a really sweet bike, and it's the same as the first guy, only slightly different. and then this one guy has the same bike i have. wait... their names are Ryan, Dave, and Mike... is that you guys?

18. RyanMcVicker

LOL! Sean, very funny..

Glad to see you registerd on otn!!!

You should post here often. Check out the off-topic forum, good stuff in there from time to time...