Observed Trials banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is interested in getting into trials riding. He asked this morning about getting a bike and showed me a couple of options he'd found in the $800-$900 range that he'd like to buy with all his xmas/birthday money that he's saved up over several years.

He already rides an 18" Sunday Primer BMX and a 26" Nukeproof Cub Scout hardtail and whilst I want to support his interests I'm worried that dropping the best part of $1000 on a single use bike might not be the best use of money.

How far could he progress on the bikes he already has before it would make sense to get him a proper trials bike?

My 8 year old rides a 24" disc brake MTB, but we have a rigid fork for it. Might there be an option to covert that to a trials bike at some point with a single speed conversion and a some much better brakes?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here's a good progression plan starting with things that can be learned on just about any bike (trackstand, rocking, hopping). Maybe ask him to master those on the bikes he has before upgrading to something trials-specific.

·
tda
1,457 Posts
yeah have him really show that he is dedicated to leaening, you can do everything on that bike he has... upgrade the brakes, maybe the bar to start !

and keep your eyes on the for sale section, an insane bike just went for $150 to a beginner..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts