Trials Features

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Nurseill454, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Nurseill454

Nurseill454 Guest

Hey everyone...I wanted to get some input on building a wooden box for practicing on. I want it to be about 3 feet high, 2 feet wide, and maybe six feet long. I need it to be strong enough to practice trials moves on, but not incredibly heavy either. Any ideas for types of wood or ways to support it?
    Also, does anybody have any ideas for other cheap, sturdy, and mobile trials features? Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks~ Michael

2. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

2x4's and 1/2 plywood

3. Ross

Ross New Member

go cut down some redwoods...jk...im sure 2x4s and plywood will be fine. Just make sure to reinforce the ply wood with 2x4s on the part where you will be riding on.

4. pav

pav New Member

Just go out and get 5 pallets. Stand 4 up in a square box, then cut them down to size, and put another pallet on top, factor in for the top pallet though. Once cut down use the cut up peices of pallet as inner struts to make it stuffer. Nail/Screw 4 pallets togehter into a square. Nail/screw the other pallet onto the top and your done. You can get pallets for free and nails/screws are cheapass too. If you want to make it more smooth you can just nail some plywood all over the main surface area to make it all flat. If you want to be really special you can top the plywood with a few coats of paint that has sand mixed in it for extra grip.

pav

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

pallets are great. if youre in boulder then, just out of curiosity, why do you need a box? there is more urban in boulder than all of denver combined.

6. ridesoul

ridesoul Guest

yes. pallettes are great. also, 1/2" plywood is more than strong enough. even 3/8" plywood might be fine if you run adequate 2x4 supports and have the grain of the plywood going the right way. still, 1/2", while heavier, will last longer over time. remember, grain is the most importand structural concern when using plywood. you want the grain going perpendicular to your supporting structure. if you have it going the sameway as your supports, your plywood will buckle for sure.

-RS

7. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

i wont mention pallets again (although I already did..) they are great because you can rearrange them to practice different moves. I have had about 6-7 pallets over the years to learn most things.. they do break but are cheap and easy to get :)

8. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

Just make sure you get good ones, the good blue brick bearing pallets. Otherwise they suck and you get hurt from unsuspecting crap pallets.

9. G-Jordan

G-Jordan Guest

ye, i have a load of blue pallets, they are great, other then for ups when they move.

george