trials camp

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jimmybikes, Apr 13, 2004.

1. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Okay, I know you guys are back, Jeremy will not be home until sometime next week, so I am wondering how the camp went?

Did you guys have fun?

Did you learn anything new?

Is the US catching up with the European riders?

Would you do the trip again?

Come on let us know how it went!!!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

2. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

Jeremy did extremely well, as for the rest of us we have a long ways to go before we catch those germans. The difference is most of our expert riders have only been riding for about 2 to 5 years as with the germans their 17 year old juniors have been riding about 8 years. I think if americans just learned how to train hard and maybe take the sport a little more seriously we could be great in just a few years. The camp was great and the USA team got along really well, I would probably go again just to ride on those rocks. :bigthumb:

3. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

it was pretty damn cool. long story short, i learned how to ride rocks last week. the thiing that helped the most was how the german coaches noticed the smallest things in a riders style. they helped the riders "unlearn" bad habits by teaching them the correct ways. one small thing is switching your stance depending on the angle you face the rock. it can make or break a move because of the added clearance. another thing is the riders postion going into a hop. most riders make a diagonal line with their body as they're going up a wall. instead, you need to stay straight all the way until the very last second, wich is when you should explode up. case in point, the coustelleirs. we watched videos to study theyre technique. we also watched a bunch of other riders. it helped us learn what we needed to do.

on top of that, we did some workouts that involved a mix of pilates and yoga. we also did some fear training. but, we usually had a spotter on all fear type things, so it wasnt that bad. we did some climbing on our off day along with some kayaking.

the riding terrain there was incredible. the rocks were pretty grippy. they were also retardly sharp. over 50 flats sharp! jeremy had a hard time with his front tire always going flat. i think mike and paul got out flat-less. but yea, the terrain was great, with pefect weather until the last day of riding.

in terms of riding ability, jeremy was the best at the camp i beleive, at least on stock. we had 2 mock comps and i think he won atleast 1 if not both. kevin rode great but sprained his ankle a few days in, an then kept hitting balls all the time. he got the "i itch my balls" award!

i think jeremy will atleast make finals. he has the potential to o even better. the other USA riders just havent been riding for as long as the germans. i for one had only ridden rocks 3 times before going out there. so we have some ctaching up to do, but we definetly have the talent.

the only thing that sucked about the trip was the lack of mexican food. other than that, its pretty damn amazing where riding trials can take ya!

mike schiavone

4. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

ahhhhhhhhhh, i wish i could have gone. oh well, maybe someday when im ALMOST decent at riding i will try and go to a camp (aka 938475 years from now :bigthumb: )

5. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Thanks for the posts. It sounds like it was a time of learning new things and having fun.

Like you guys said, those riders in Europe have been riding for a long time, they have great coaching, and a lot of very good hard comps, and they are driven to improve, all of these things have helped them.

You guys are just now taking advantage of these same type of things. Your attitudes are going to take you guys a long way fast. Remember they have had all the advantages for so long, and you guys are really just starting out. I bet you will improve more in the next 6 months than ever before.

Using Jeremy as an example, he started riding trails at the age of 13, there were no trips to Europe or even a USA World team, and no camps to go to. But when those things came along he started doing them, and they changed his way of riding. Since the World Championships last year he has already done three training "camps" two in Europe and one at Ryan's house on the east coast. If all goes well he will also do the one in CO in May or June.

As a direct result of these camps since, the World Championships last year, he has improved more in the last 6 or 7 months than any other 7 month period.

The point is he has been riding for 8 years and still has learned more in the last 7 months than any other time in his life, you guys can do even better, some of you have a lot more natural talent than he does, and you have great attitudes and you are taking advantage of the camps and comps that Jeremy only dreamed of at your age, some day many of you can be better than Jeremy and maybe even the best in the world.

Keep your desire and passion for trials and it is hard telling you where it can take you, for Jeremy things are more fun and exicting than ever and that is after 8 years of riding.

Hopefully, JP and Stevo will also provide you with some top notch comps this year, and watch out, you guys are going to get better, fast!!!

And don't forget there are also some great NATS events and local events. You guys have a great start for what should be one of the best ever years in US trials.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the croatia camp was awesome again this year. this year i didnt get any revolutionary new concepts or tips but rather a bunch of little pointers that i know i need to keep drilling myself on.

riding some of the same spots as last year was really nice because the stuff i could not even attempt before was stuff i was getting in less than five tries this year. i also feel like i could have been hanging with a few of the germans if i had only quit hurting myself so damned much!

there were two mock comps like mike said and jeremy won them both. he was definately the best rider there i feel. some of the germans may have had a move or two on him or may have been more willing to take risks (and take on the injuries as well) but jeremy was the best rider. the comp set on friday was set to 'worlds level' intesity. it was hard for sure. i rode junior for that because it was my first day back from rolling my ankle really hard (plus, my candy ass couldnt do the elite stuff). i could have made all the moves in the sections but it was very obvious that i lacked the fitness to make it through. each move or piece of a section was stuff i could handle but when i get to the end and there is a 45 inch hook to get out of the section... i was in trouble.

it was great to see (what i felt was) drastic improvement in my riding over last year's trip. it was also really cool to see the other guys struggle with these strange new things and yet still come out of the experience in a possitive light. rather than feeling hopelessly far behind i think the guys knew what they have to do to catch up and are willing to pursue it.

pics and video to come soon.

7. Paulsf

Paulsf New Member

The croatia trip was, to repeat, really good. For me, it showed what i really need to work on and how to do it. I also felt that i learned a lot from the other american riders as well as the germans.

The fitness thing was, and is, a big deal. the german kids had big moves, but they could also do them at the end of a section, when the rest of us were coughing up a lung.

I feel that everyone who was on the trip will be improving over the next couple of months as the teachings sink in.

8. mikeschiavone

god........

im dyin' to ride but frickin us airways lost my bike! i think its because jeremy packed that gun in his box and we both got red flagged since we took the same flight out from croatia to frankfurt. either way, it sucks!

jim,

do you know if jeremy got his bike when he arrived?

9. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Yes, he got the bike, I have not seen him, but he did say he got the bike box, but he must have put the gun in your bike box and that is why you didn't get your bike.

By the way, he also said, you are a very talented rider that learns things very quickly, keep up the good work, and you will do well.

And guys, the getting in shape part of riding will only take a very small part of your time, if you do it right, or you can do it like the Germans are and spend a lot of time doing it. The choice is yours, but I know Jeremy would rather spend time riding rather than spend it doing exercises in the gym for hours and hours.

Try those 20-10 second intervals I wrote about, in another thread, those will get you in great cardio shape fast and they only take 4 to 5 minutes to do them.

I am leaving to go to Washington to help out with Jeremy's demo, he should be back next week, give him a call any time Mike, 541-846-9494. He also has a cell phone, you can get that number from his mom if you call home and he is not there.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

10. Pancho

Pancho New Member

I'm still jet lagged, so I'll make this short.

I didn't get to ride because dirt jumping isn't good training for trials. Regardless, 10 days of watching some of the best riders in the world was extremely helpful. I hope to ride soon, and put everything I learned to use.

One thing I noticed, the Germans had PERFECT style. Jeremy was the best rider, but the European style that only the Germans had was impressive. They are human springs, nothing about their riding was anything but smooth. They keep their legs much wider apart than us, and rather than just bend their knees, they also flex them outwards.

Felix is the single smoothest rider I have ever seen. It may have been partially his bike set up, but I don't remember once hearing a sound out of his bike, even on the 5 or 6 foot drop/gaps.

And Maurice has a knack for trees!

11. felix

felix New Member

The Croatia trip was very good.
    It was much fun to ride and meet riders from the other side of the world.
    I hope the camp helped on all of you guys.
    Perhaps you can't apply the learned things instantly, but I'm sure the camp will improve your future riding.

Jeremy did very well. He won both comps and did many impressive moves. His riding and his style improved a lot since last year's worlds.
    Kevin's skills improved as well compared to last year's camp.

Pancho, thanks for the compliment!

12. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

Hey Paul--
    Did you put to use any of that German I taught you?

13. Paulsf

Paulsf New Member

14. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey sorry, but was this Croatia trip something only like "pros or experts" could go on? It sounds like a lot of fun if anyone could go.

15. mikeschiavone

if my weak ass could go, im sure anyone could have.

16. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Pretty much expert or above only, unfortunatly. The Germans made a special invitation to the US National Team, so I think it may have sort of been wasting their time if less experienced riders had come. As it was, we flailed pretty bad compared to the germans, except for Jeremy. Don't get me wrong, everyone definitly put tons of effort into it, we just have a ways to go before we catch up.

17. mikeschiavone

im determined to be able to ride better then them by the end of this year

18. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

I touch up'ed 36 inches for the first time tonight and I have never even touched my tire on an up before. Croatia is already sinking in!

19. mikeschiavone

yea, no joke. i finally got 5ft last nite, with a hook though.

by the way, i had the biggest fuckin steak last nite. and iv been eating mexican like all week!

20. average mike

average mike Guest

This is kinda off topic but: Mike Schiavone: Were you at motorama on the trek hardtail?