Trials bike setup

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by hotdogm900, Oct 26, 2004.

1. hotdogm900

hotdogm900 New Member

Hello out there!

I am currently bying parts for a bike that will be more suited for trials riding than my current street/DJ bike. However, I don't want to go the whole nine yards and buy a complete bike just yet. So if someone can please comment/advice on the following setup.

This is what I've got:
    Mavic 521 on an XT hub for the rear, a none specified front rim.
    Magura HS33 or race line brakes
    RF compact ISIS 165mm cranks and a RF evolve crank bearing
    Shimano DX pedals
    Approx 100mm stem and a 680mm wide bar
    XTR short cage shifter

Are these parts suitable for trials, in case I buy a trials specific frame at some point?

As for the frame I'm currently looking at long lost dream of mine; the cannondale M800 "beast of the east". It has rather long chainstays at 16.9in, and at 14in frame height it is somewhat large, but it's quite short and has a high bottom bracket. Furthermore it is cheap...

Remember I am not looking for an all out trials bike at the moment, but any advice is welcome.

bo[R]ed

2. rider

rider New Member

16.9 stays are veeeeery long for any type of trials moves. How about a Planet X New Jack Flash. 16 stays, variable geo (works with both rigid and sus fork) etc etc.

3. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

the beast of the east has merit as an antique, and just because so many people have an outdated lust for them that they never got over. Objectively speaking, everything about them is crap today...for trials anyway...

- Joel

4. hotdogm900

hotdogm900 New Member

Okay, thanks guys... That last one was a bit harsh, but I got the point. I might have to find another frame, then. (The problem is, living in Norway, finding a trials frame is not straight forward)

Still, I'm new to this kind of bike so any advice on the rest of the gear, please. What can I use and what do I need to change or buy?

bo[R]ed

5. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Everything you have there will be fine to start off with. However, when you start doing trials you will break things, so upgrade when you do.

6. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

there's nothing to stop you from using the beast of the east, I though that perhaps you might be using as reference outdated sources proclaiming that it was a great trials frame. Back in the day there were no trials "specific" frames so people just used mountain bike frames for 26" trials. The beast of the east was one of the sought after ones because of its strength and stiffness. Compared to modern trials frames though, its geometry is terrible. And it's quite heavy too. Finding a small mtb frame (14") or less will be fine if you can't get a trials frame, get the shortest chainstays you can. Gary Fisher's Genesis hardtails frames have fairly short chainstays.

- Joel

7. AlainY

AlainY bruises that won't heal

Hotdog, you are a lucky man. i happen to want to sell my gary fisher big sur frame. It's 14 inch and i've been using it for trials. It's got Genesis geomery and i've been using it for trials. What do you think? I can send you a pic.

8. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

um, I don't need a 14" GF but thanks...I've already got a 13" BF which does me fine.

jokes, does the genesis work OK for trials?

- Joel

9. AlainY

AlainY bruises that won't heal

It's actually quiet OK. I'm just curious to swith to these new long bikes out there. you can use it for street/trials. GF does advertise "long top tube, short chainstays".

10. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

those genesis frames haven't had quite the success in XC racing as GF would have hoped, but hey, if people didn't try new things we wouldn't even have UCI-specific geometry !

longer bikes are less flickable, in one sense, but more stable in another sense and much better for touch ups. You gain some, and lose some capabilities, but in my opinion it's a net win.

- Joel