Transporting bike on plane for trip....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, May 14, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I'll be heading to San Diego in a couple weeks.....for all you guys who travel alot to ride (Kevin) what do you do to your bike for the plane ride? I'm ASSUMING you just pack it like you would as if you were gonna mail it....but I'm not sure on everything. Is there a travel case you can buy, like a hard suitcase type of deal or do I just take off the pedals, loosen the headset, take of the wheels and pack it?

Can anybody lend some info?

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

you can use a box from a bike shop... tape it up really well though. if you are going to travel a lot, get a bike case. you can get them from mail order places for a decent price. you may also be able to get a loaner from a local bike shop they wil let you borrow or rent. the more you tear your bike down, the less there will be to break and wreck up when tsa opens your shit and cant repack it right because they are all retarded.

the cases are not cheap- least expensive ones i would trust are about 150 bucks.

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

yea iron cases run quite a bit, but otherwise, do the box method, and steal the box, if you ask, we will charge you for no reason for the box

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...I asn't 100% sure on how exactly to go about doing it. I wasn't sure if the box method was the right way to go because of what Kevin said....they'll open it, and search it...then fuck it up by not repacking it right...whereas, if they opeed a bike case...it'd be pretty self explanatory, atleast, I'de think so, LOL!

Hmm...I kinda do plan on traveling to SD quite a bit here for the next couple years, so that travel case MAY be worth it.....

Hmm....

5. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

be careful.....it could get lost?anybody had that happen to them before? my aunt has lost a few packages that were sent with her on an airlplan (through customs/whatnot). i wouldn't want that to happen to my bike.......

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

LOL! COMPLETELY overlooked that....damn, that'd suck.....

7. WhiteRavenKS

they tend to not lose bikes for more than a day or two. it sucks but you will get your crap back. if you are traveling a bunch you might as well get one. they are worth it. the good ones will last you a long time so even if you are traveling a half dozen times in the next few years, it will still be worth your while.

8. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I may be a bleeding heart liberal but , I'd love to sell you a case!

The trico sports ironcase is by far one of the best values.SUPA tough,
    wheelies for snappy jaunts after delays from timely body cavity searches.
    And straps to contain even the most restless of megamos.Value priced @ 249.99 plus 33.50 shipping.Not to be used for human cargo .

My digi's are 1-800-688-8600 ext 117 . I can't cut you a deal ,but I promise not to talk politics! :slap: I'll be here all fucking weekend. :rant2:

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I have the iron case...it does not fuck around, not even mulitple trips through the monkeys at newark airport could scratch it.

10. DMArnt

DMArnt Guest

I'm moving to the States later this year and have been wondering about what to pack my bike in as well. I have seen the hardcases and they look sweet. Is there an extra charge to fly with a package that size across the country?

As for losing your bike. Thats what travel insurance is for. :bigthumb:

:werd:

11. WhiteRavenKS

there should be no charge for international flights on the bigger airlines. for stuff in side the states you may have to pay. its never more than 100 bucks. actually, now that i think of it, that is really high too. most of the time you can talk them down by telling them you are like say on the national team and you are headed to a huge event- crap like that. if you sign up for imba, you get a free flight pass for united too.

12. Patrick

Patrick New Member

Trico sports: close to 300 retail is alot for some plastic, cloth straps, and foam. still,.. I have to agree with afro3000 and serg.. tough as nails. you'll use it alot more than you think

13. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...I remember my mom and I going to the P.I. and she was allowed 3 boxes(per person), not to exceed 60 lbs each box, but I can't remember is there was a size limit, and if the bike case will exceed a size limit, if there is infact one.

Any brands you recommend? I'm prolly gonna snag one up this weekend.....

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

i might just be hungover and confused, but the last 9 posts dealt with one brand...the good brand...that you should get.

15. atypical

atypical Guest

This may seem too easy, how come you have to do anything to your bike? Is there some prickass that makes you box everything when you ship it? I'd just ask if it could be set in there like a wheelchair or stroller- It'd prolly be the only thing messed up- murphy's law, but maybe it could happen? Damn, that would rock- preferential treatment for bikes- first class respect. :ugh2:

16. AndyT

AndyT New Member

atypical... try that and let us know how it goes :hsugh:

17. oicdn

oicdn Guest

How shitty...I can only find Trico sports travel case...Afro is the cheapest at $249......Pricepoint wants $259...and other places want $350......

Like patrick said...tat's alot for a piece of plastic and some straps and foam....yikes...

*edit* I found tom Tri-All cases...but umm....$279 and $449 are kinda alot for a travel case....

18. AndyT

AndyT New Member

oicdn dude start reading the posts.

each one tells you to get the trico sports case, why is it shitty that thats all you can find? That is what you want...are you on drugs :squint:

19. oicdn

oicdn Guest

It's called exploring options...I'm 90% likely going to get that Trico case, but I'm also browsing around to see if maybe I can find it cheaper than $249....

20. Dread

Dread New Member

oicdn -
    You might want to check out ebay. Do a serch "bike case" and you will find a brand new one to buy for $224.99 and a few used ones for less. Hope that helps.