Tough Decision (Oh noes another crank question)

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ebon Dragon, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

well i have a tough decision to make i was wondering what your inputs would be...

I can get a set of xtrs cheap 175mm for 50 CAD the only factor that is holding me back is the length (heh.) welll i was wondering of how 175s feel "spinning" compared to 170mm ( like static 180s etc) and also yeah ive read alot of reasons why people run 170mms but never really heard anything from the 175mm runners? input?

2. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

I run 175's and think they are great. I think clearance is a pretty major factor in choice of length.

3. digby

digby New Member

175's give you more leverage and more power.

For clearance issues, how often are you gonna be riding and find your crank at the 6 oclock position when your on a rock? If your doing that alot and worrying about clearancy, you may as well get 158 montys.

4. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

what do you think about it for japslaps. will it take too long to get a full revolution on the cranks?

5. Ross

Ross New Member

We're talkin half a centimeter here. I think you will be able to cope with it.

6. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the 5mm clearence wont be much of an issue. nothing you wont adapt to in a few rides. if you can get some xtrs for that much money- jump on it now. then pee your pants at how awesome the cranks are. only thing is that i would look into getting a compact drive spider for the cranks. the lx ones work and are cheap. the 4 bolt stuff is huge and the standard drive is also pretty huge. idealy i would look for something like the leeson integrated spider/bash for the xtr cranks. (i thought someone from the east coast here was making them? maybe not? i would still buy one if they were...!)

i want longer cranks on my mod. these 158's feel like im spinning a big wheels... only smaller. a little wheels if you will.

7. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

1 cm if you add both sides and your feet are further apart so balance etc. by the way... if you cant feel the difference your a fool - well yeah i think im gonna go for it because i think ill be able to adapt to it fast - thanks alot guys

8. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

edit- nevermind, im a fool. i never noticed the diff between 170 and 175's. i barely noticed it when i went from 165's to 175's...

9. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

I used to think I could tell the difference, and maybe I could if I really tried but, after I found out it's a lot more fun to think about riding when you're riding than thinking about parts and measurements etc, the difference went away.

Right now on my mod I have a 158mm drive side crank and a 170mm crank arm on the other. I've honestly NEVER felt the difference. But it's only been like that for about 3 months now.

10. felix

felix New Member

I doubt, these 5 millimetres have any significant advantages/disadvantages for the riding.

When I switch from my mod (158mm cranks) to the stock (175mm) I feel the difference a little bit, but not if the difference is only 0.5cm

11. will4eva7k

will4eva7k TrialsDEN.com

how about thinking about the frame and fork you have

i dont know if many people consider this coz i never hear ppl say it

if you frame has a bb rise, or a massive 9000000mm cm rise, i dont think 175 would be an issue as it would compensate for the clearance

12. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Vincey pimps the 175's which makes the crap engagement on the ACS claws even a wee bit more crappy. Hmm....

Maybe 175's and The Claws are THE Euro secret we've never ever known...