touch hop technique

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by evileye, Mar 18, 2004.

1. evileye

evileye New Member

im wanting to know about technique for this move as im finding it difficult
    1. i keep my wieght back on the bike
    2. as i approch the wall i move forward
    3. as the front wheel hits i jump up bringing the bike through my legs
    i know everbody has a different take on this just wnted reasurance i was doing it right
    thanks

2. lewis poyntontrials.com

lewis poyntontrials.com New Member

Sounds about right to me. I think you can crouch a bit to so you can jump up more explosivly, it can also help to watch the pro's doing it frame by frame, but I think the one of the main points is commiting to the tap fully.

Lewis.

3. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Read pancho's post on the slap up technique by Kamil just recently. He says it perfectly.

edit: I got it for you

4. Faction Bike

Faction Bike New Member

just to throw down some pennies on this post, I think the key to slaps is where you tap your tire and how hard you tap your tire. You must tap your tire low and hard. The higher you tap on the wall the better your timing has to be because high tire placement coupled with bad tap timing usually leads to a loop out, aka your back tire slamming into the base of the wall.

Concentrate on a point about three feet up the wall. That is the point you want to slam. If you can, scribe a mark on the wall with a rock or something. You want to hit this spot. Don't even look at the top of the wall, just concentrate on this spot. Also, train on a small wall before you go over to something bigger. A small wall forces you to tap low, teaching your body the proper technique while not sketching your brain out at the same time. Hope it helps.

5. cck

cck Member

just got my 105x17 stem and slaps have gotten much better. the difference is that i can really push the front end into the wall. as you wheel hits, you should be pretty close to the bars and push hard with your arms into the wall. never use the front brake tho.

6. cck

cck Member

before i had to do what graham said and hit low and hard, but now i can hit high and by pushing hard on the handlebars, my rear wont slam into the wall. cool stuff. i love this stem.