Observed Trials banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i'm a cross county rider in college and have had a trials bike (onza Trex 26") for quite a while and because of injury never been able to ride it, now i have stared and seem to not be able to get any further with my skills etc, the problem is that i'm one of two trials riders in my state in australia, so i dont even know how to set my bike up correctly so if you could give me some idea on a few things. i ride urban trials.

Tire Pressures?
Headset angle and length?
Handlebar length and set up?
Do i need a brake booster for hydro rim brakes?
And tips on how to learn how to sit and hop off the back wheel
Also general Begginers tips

Much apreciated cheers:)

·
Derp
3,978 Posts
Welcome.

First check out the regional forum, You may be able to find a rider near you.

Next, check out the sticky at the top of the beginner thread.

http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=36642

Give you some help on the headtube angle.

Tire pressure should be "enough to support you but not so much that the tire is hard... Start around 18 PSI and adjust accordingly.

Handlebars, stems are items that depend on you size and reach. They vary from rider to rider.

You should run a brake booster, it will help save your frame and give a better feel.

For help on riding, first buy Mastering The Art of Trials by Ryan Leech or finding clips of it on youtube. He has a segment about rear wheel hops.

·
Old Man, Poser, Newbie, "Huba Huba"
4,052 Posts
I say run, delete this web site, do not ever look at this web site - ever - again. Delete your history, delete your cookies, delete-delete-delete.
It's like Hotel California, you can check in any time you like but you can never leave.

G

·
If you are riding mostly urban I'd recommend you start at about 25 psi and see how you like it, decrease as desired. And as recommended, check the FAQ at the top of Beginner forum. Its a work in progress, so we are always adding answers to the FAQ as they come up.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
A lot of things depend heavily on how tall and heavy you are.

Most guys run 25-30psi but also are skinny as can be. I find I need to run something closer to 35-38psi. If you're a shorter rider the normal stock setup could be challenging for you and you might want to opt for a different stem/bar setup.

As a self-taught rider my advice for you is simple; don't spend too much time on the forum. Ride ride ride. Use the forum to find other riders. Once and while make a video of yourself to check out your technique.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot guys it has helped with tire pressures, But i really think my stock 5 degree rise 80mm long headset is holding me back shold i go to a longer or steeper angled headset and bars, oh and what is a decent weight for bars and headsets?

Btw cannot find anyone in launceston who rides :(
Sick of hearing wheres your seat

·
My body is ready.
5,469 Posts
Like mentioned earlier, get Mastering the art of trials

You don't need people to ride with, although it would help you improve a lot faster. Ryan Leech is always riding with your heart.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok well I got Mastering the art of trials, it has helped but got to rocking and having trouble locking the rear hard enough should i grind the rims, pads or get a brake booster?

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Film yourself and pop the clips up here. We will be able to tell you how you can improve what your doing wrong and what you can do better, etc.

If you ever come on the boat to melb, post it on here because there are plenty ofnus in melb and you could learn a little in one ride

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just running stock magura pads going to grind my rims and order a set of echo brake boosters. oh and a new set of tyres whats a good urban set?

·
Registered
740 Posts
you should probably get new pads too if you're going to grind your rim (which you should) as the stock magura pads only last for like less than a month on a grinded rim. for tires, if you're riding in the street almost anything will do to be honest as long as it doesnt flat too often. what do you have right now?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok what pads?
ah onza sticky fingers, wondering about maxxis minnions, hard to ship anything over here to tassie,
Right now running a 80mm 5 degree rise thinking about a echo 100mm 38 degree or are there any common alternitives?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts