too tall??

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by GTFCKD, Jul 11, 2004.

1. GTFCKD

GTFCKD New Member

is there such thing as being too tall for a mod
    i am 6 foot 2 and was wondering if that is too tall
    to ride a mod
    i can get a monty so thats what i would be rideing

thanks
    michael

2. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

too big for a monty, IMO

3. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

You might feel cramped riding a mod at your height, that's not to say that you won't be able to do it. Dani Comas is a giant, and he rides Monty mods. He could ride pretty much anything though. There are also plenty of tall people who ride mods.

If you can get that mod for a really good deal, you can always get a longer frame later on. But, if it's not that good of a deal, look into getting a new bike, whether one of the long mods, or a stock if you're really worried about being cramped. Ride a mod if you can, see how it fits you, and decide on that, you might like it.

Personally, I would get a stock bike if I was your height. Being cramped on a bike is a hassle you can avoid. That's not to say you won't like the way a mod rides though. Try one out if you can, to see how it would suit you.

4. jimmyboy

jimmyboy Guest

what kind of monty?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  5. GTFCKD

GTFCKD New Member

221 just to srew around on but i have a stock aswell

michael

6. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Even though I'm not ZOO!s biggest supporter, you might want to look into a python mod. I don't know how long it is, and I also don't know shit about mods, but its long enough. Hell to me it looks like a stock with 20" wheels.

7. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

my cousin is about 6'3'' and he rides an xalp. its kidna like a bmx bike with good brakes. other than the fact that it is kinda small and he breaks it alot he likes it, hes buying my 220 frame once i get my python. id get that 221 then save for like a python, theres a huge difference in feeling between the two, im sure if you feel at home on a long stock then youll love a long mod

8. Tanner

Tanner New Member

6'3" and riding a monty xlite 221. Go for it. Let your size help you

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

I have no clue why people are saying Python because it's longer. Any LONG mod frame will feel pretty close/similair to eachother. Python has longer chainstays than Koxx/Echo. This means that some of the added length comes from the back end, which you don't really feel. Having a longer top tube will give the bike a longer feeling than if that bike had the same length but the added length came from the stays.
    I think the 221 would be OK if you just want something to mess around with, but after a while you may want to consider a long mod. Something like a Levelboss or that new Echo team is looking very nice. I haven't ridden the Python, but I'd rather go Koxx/Echo than buy one of those. Keep in mind that a long Mod bike will feel very different from a long Stock bike. I get on my freinds Coust or XTP (old model) and they feel long, but still pretty nice. Then I have a go on my XTP and the thing just feels much longer. I can't really explain it but....Well, the 221 should be OK for now. ;)

10. B1105

B1105 New Member

People think a 10mm increase in the wheelbase will actually make a difference. I don't think you would even feel it, it seems if your tall enough to belive the python should fit you, then you should just get a stock as ctfalonk is.

my 2 cents

PS-andreas, how mcuh was your full XTP

11. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Python, XTP, that is the biggest difference in Long mod wheelbase you can get. A whopping 15 MM. XTP has very short chainstays, Python has long ones. That's probably where the difference is? :dunno: ANY long mod will work, they feel pretty close to eachother (I can't tell the difference between my XTP and my friends LB).

B1105-Not sure. I bought every part one at a time, starting from a stock Monty X Lite. Now every part has been changed (chain, brakes, all). I can't really say how much it was, other than it cost a fortune (would have cost more if I didn't get good deals/some used parts!).

12. B1105

B1105 New Member

ah i see, very nice