to disc or not to disc?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by nicholarse, Oct 3, 2004.

1. nicholarse

nicholarse Guest

Hi, I am planning on buying a mod for the first time - going with the ZOO! Python (prob around xmas time) I just wanted to know your thoughts on what is best - front hydraulic disc or HS33? I will have an HS33 on the back. If it's a disc it will prb be a magura Marta or whatever they are called. So don't mention avid mechanicals etc

The thing I worry about with a disc is knocking it on stuff - do you find that to be a problem? Also what about weight?

thanks, Nick.

2. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

I'm sure people here are going to say you are stupid for not getting an avid mechanical......... Anyway, get the disc! I've run discs for a good amount of time now and I haven't touched them once. Maybe with a 20" wheel it will be more apt to hit? I dunno, but I wouldn't worry about.

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Don't worry about the weight, the difference is negligible. Don't worry about hitting it on stuff, I've had a disc for 2 years and have hit it once.

4. digby

digby New Member

please dont run a hs33 on the front. Go with the marta you wont regret it.

5. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

disc in front-good lock-up but can still modulate awesome
    hs33 or v-excellent lock-up but hard to modulate if you grind/tar

6. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

Modulation is over-rated. Its all about lockup, in my opinion. Yes front brake too..

7. hophopsnap

how about front wheel gaps and such?

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I would rather have a vee with tough grind than any of your options. Martas are worthless.

9. hophopsnap

sorry to be offtopic but how long do you go before changing the line in the avid mech?

10. Elan

Elan steve french

however long you want/need. depends upon your conditions... just change that shit when it starts feeling bad.

11. hophopsnap

dam I should get one on my next bike..friggin thing cost like..70 bucks

nevermind go back on topic...

why are you so set on the Marta? Just curious

12. s.s.king

s.s.king Guest

discs are good,i hit mine all the time they can handle alot of abuse. I run a shitmano deore on the front with a sram lever and on the rear i run a front julie with a shitmano deore lever works real good.

13. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

The only reason I like my avid mech's is for nose wheelies, otherwise I would drop a little weight and just go with v's...

14. cmtrialsriders

cmtrialsriders Guest

Front discs rock, I rode them for like 5 months. Then I got a hand me down from my friend. Now I miss the smoothness and lock-up they had on the front.

15. cmtrialsriders

cmtrialsriders Guest

Discs. .. ???

Discs are nice also because they don't make too much noise at all. I loved mine for riding street and natural. Mostly because any slow-moving moves were not so screechingly loud and heinous souding.

16. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Fuckin :werd: