Tire/Tube comb

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by xxxfr, Jun 22, 2004.

3 vote(s)
    21.4%

1 vote(s)
    7.1%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

9 vote(s)
    64.3%

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i got 5 tire choices and 2 tube choices, leading to a few possible results, some of which i omitted because they dont make sense:

1. Michy Hot S 2.1 w/ normal tube, 25psi, color matches, but i have to ride smooth total of about 730g

2. Michy Hot S 2.2 (puncture rest) same as #1, 760g

3. Michy Hot S 2.1 w/ dh tube, less psi, color matches, 1030g

4. Michy Hot S 2.2 (puncture rest) same as #3, 1060g

5. Michy 24.1 Light 2.2 w/ normal tube, 20psi, 950g

6. Michy 24.1 Soft 2.2 w/ normal tube, 20psi, 1250g

7. Michy 24.1 Light 2.2 w/ DH tube, 15psi, 1250g

Im trying to get my bike down to 25lbs w/o making it real weak, and w/o loosing my seat (for now), and using anyother tire/tube option other than #1, what im using now, will add weight...

2. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

The 24.1 soft is a beutifull tire(if you can describe a tire like that) and even if it weighed more than it did I would still take it over the HOT S.

I've tried both tires and feal there is no comparison between the 2. Hot S is not nearly as sticky nor can it resist pinch flats like the COMP. I run a 2.2 with a basic tube and I really can not pinch flat it. But the stickiness is the best part, watch Kevins latest practice vid and you will see why!
    The Hot S you have to run a DH tube otherwise you will be pinching very often and DH tubes weigh a lot so you are getting closer to the weight of the Comp anyway.

I know your kind of worried that it'll mess up your colour scheme but one black and one red look really cool too. Look at all the trials bikes you can there are many examples of people with a Hot S on the front and a Maxxis or Comp in the back. It looks cool and it's the way to go.

My 2 cents.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

kevin doesnt use a michelin.... :ugh:

4. Elan

Elan steve french

balck maxxis on front > red hot s on front

5. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I know but i was refering to the stickiness not the same tire. Since I was talking about that a sticky tire is better I said look at Kevins vid to see why!! Understand Elan.

6. Shipley

Shipley ..........

The red Hot S is poo. Period.
    Super thin sidewalls will get sliced in a blink, they fold like mad, and pinchflat all over the place.
    Comp 24 lite or soft up front. Maxxis ST or Tryall seem to be good bets too.

You wanna look pretty when you flat or don't stick your move?

7. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

wow....thats a big jump from what others are saying, i dont see a reason to take my hot s off the front, maybe if i was doing natural riding it might be easy to rip the front tire up, but i think its going to be tuff to do when all i ride is urban

8. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I got a slice in my sidewall riding urban. And the rubber in the Hot S seemed to get dry pretty quickly... just my experience. If it's working for ya.. then you should keep using it.

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i was thinking of trying a geax tire because we had it instock, 6ply casing, sticky compound, 2.6 that measures like 2.3, a whopping 1380g, but we have it instock as i said....so i might try it, if i like it, and want to use it forever ill drill my front rim or something to make up the weight