Observed Trials banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Aluminum is for recycling
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just learned something from a down hiller! The Michelin 241 tires ,though a close 2nd to maxis offer great modification capabilities.
Using a right angle wire cutter you can slice mid knob ,cut some off etc.
I'm a bit hesitant to try this on my brake bads though.

·
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why? A constant search for the next best thing.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Work on riding ability first. You shouldn't have any problems, unless you are riding on a metal box covered in oil. I just spent a while on a metal box covered in ice and snow, one wrong move and you die, don't make that wrong move.

·
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just spent a while on a furry box covered in oil .Yes, the tire syping was of no use. :eek3:

At what point do you stop improving your riding and improve your bike?
Why not both ... always...

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
cutting your 24.1 tire will work better on weird situations. its not that much better. its not as good as say... a maxxis but it stick kicks more ass. did i show you where to cut?

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
i have a tire i chopped up for dh racing around here some where- when i find it i will take pics and post them. this is one ancient chinese secret i can let go of eh?

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Yeah we used to cut our tires in the early '90s before decent tires were available, but didn't think anyone was still doin it...anyway, thats tire-cuting. Syping is a newer technique where you just put slices in the tire tread and just may have an application in trials. Please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
search for off road vehicle syping.... its done on trucks and shit....nothing to do with side knob removing as steve said.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well guys i took and put slits im knobs where i thought it would be adventageous in my 24.1 i will keep you posted (ps i dont know if it has any thing to do with it but i stuck a back wheel today that i was way way to far down on and never should or normally would have stuck it. its not scietific but im sticking with it. or at least i dont see that it damaged anything.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cutting slits or siping knobs is no big deal. It can help.

I cut horizontal slits in the knobs on a rear Monty tire years ago. Worked just fine. The sipes help the knobs squirm and conform better and it helps displace moisture and spooge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts