Tire setup, echo tires?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RyanMcVicker, Jul 16, 2004.

1. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

When I get my Pure it is going to have the stock Echo checkered tires on it, 2.5 rear and 2.1 front... Is the checkered pattern bad? Because I don't see anyone using them... Should I upgrade tires when i get it? If so, which ones? And from where if my LBS doesn't have them?

Thanks!

2. felix

felix New Member

Get some Michelin or Maxxis tires!

3. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

the echo tires fold in really wierd ways that make you lose your balance, such as folding off to the side really easy. also their grip is only average, so their not good, so noone uses them.

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Get a Mich Comp 24 2.2 or 2.5 or Maxxis Minion DHR for the rear, and for the front get maybe a single ply Maxxis. Tires arent cheap, but to me their worth so much more than other parts of the bike. I havent used the Echo Tires, but everyone says they suck so I will prob get a new set soon once by bike arrives.

5. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Super Tacky Maxxis grips a hundred times better than the El Gatos and Panaracer Fire DH's I used to run, with less pinches too... so it should grip 1000 times better than the Echo tires with that crappy Monty pattern and paper thin sidewalls. The Michelin is the other no brain choice. Anyone who has run either will never use anything else.

6. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

What about try all tires which are the third the cost of a maxxis?

7. B1105

B1105 New Member

A third of the cost? I thought Maxxis are like 30-50, and Tryalls are 42 or something

8. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

When I ran a Maxxis tire it was amazing, grippiest sturdiest tire I've had. Unfortunately when it wore down I just couldn't bring myself to spend another ~ $90 on one tire, so now I just run the 2004 Specialized tires front and rear. Cheap and soft, that does it for me. The rear one is wayyy huge, I underestimated the advertised size, and I had to spend a while with some wire cutters to make it fit. Still rubs when I pedal hard.

B1105, Tryalls are $45 Cnd for the stock and $42 cnd for the mod, but you're right they also go for $42 Usd. Weird. Maxxis tires over here are $85 online at thetrialsinshop, which is just above cost at a bike shop.

Ctfalconk, personally, I would just run the Echo tires until you buy some new tires. They're coming on the bike anyways, and unless you find someone to sell them to, you might as well just use them. Then you'll see the difference between them and whatever tires you decide to get next.

9. pav

pav New Member

This isnt really related to the question but is best posted here, it is a question for all of you michelin supporters.
    Why do you all say Comp 24.1, why not Comp 16? From what I have seen the Comp 16 looks and seems better for trials, also the Mud 3, that looks good for trials as well. Why Comp 24.1 always?

pav

10. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Oops.. forgot about the Tryalls... I'd love to try em but I still get the Maxxis cheaper at cost. Oh how I wish there were big name distributors carrying trials specific parts and frames.. BTI has come the closest that I know of.

I agree with Roman though.. you've got the tires, might as well use them for now... until/unless you get pissed with them.

11. RyanMcVicker

Ya, I am going to use the echo tires for a while... Then when i feel its neccessary, ill upgrade. When I do upgrade I think im going to go with a michelin hot-s 2.2 in front. And maybe a maxxis minion 2.5 dh rear for the rear.

So I should get either maxxis or michelins? Nothing else?

12. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

the comp 16 is a 2.8. that's WAAAY too fukin big. if it came in a smaller size, maybe i'd try it out, but the knobs look too big and close together.

13. Janson

Janson Guest

The Comp16 comes in 2.2" and 2.5".

It's the Comp32 that comes in 2.7" or something massive.

Comp16 are nice, butlook a bit taller and squarer than the Comp24, so they might fold a bit more (but not much at all).

Seen them on a fair few bikes over here in Sweden...

14. RyanMcVicker

Ive been considering either a hot-s or panaracer red fire xc in front, ive been leaning towards the hot-s but i just saw this pic... i didnt know the fire xc came in blue, holy shit... I wish i could get green... I know its silly to get one based on color, but its only the front tire, even though i am starting to learn lots of front wheel stuff... but anyways, i like blue instead of red...

[​IMG]

Is the maxxis minion dhr a good choice for a rear tire?

I don't know why im even looking into tires so much, Tim @trailsin said i won't be able to get an '04 pure for like a month because he needs to order them and everything...

15. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

kenda nevegal stick e rubber DH tire. very impressive. (ive ridden michelin and maxxis and nokian)

16. Elan

Elan steve french

i run a maxxis minion Super Tacky dhr, so do the cosutelliers (i think), so does the amazing kevin shiramizu. i cant tell the difference between it and a michelin comp 24.1 ..... some say they are totally different however. but yea, its a good tire.

front tires work... i just got a maxxis ST dhf single ply, and i really like it...i had to switch back to my michelin hot s after i got this monty fork though. the difference isnt as noticeable as for a rear though.

17. sharpe

sharpe Guest

my tryall tyre cost me about half what a maxxis or michelin costs me in Australia and is sooo grippy it's not funny. it's never slipped on me, it's my brake that slips. i can pedal up something and have my rear tyre not even half on the ledge and it still grips. really amazing.

18. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Sharpie, my maxxis cost me way less than half the cost of a Try-all. Just gotta go through the right channels.

Junkie.....