Thread Preview added

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by OTAdmin, Apr 24, 2004.

1. I want to see the Last Post

100.0%
  2. I want to see the First Post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

I just added a thread preview function to the forum. Try holding your mouse over a topic in any forum and you will currently see a little yellow pop-up (alt info) containing the first 200 characters of the last post in the topic.

example:

[​IMG]

What I want to know from you guys are, would you rather see the preview of the first or last post in the topic, and how many characters would you like to see?

If you don't like it, let me know. This is one of my favorite functions on vBulletin, and I finally fingered it out here :).

Bill

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i really like that function. can't really decide wether it should be 1st or last though. with 1st you could see if you even want to bother reading that topic. with last you could quickly see....well, the last post. i guess i'd rather have first. 200 characters is fine.
    just thinking out loud here

3. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

cool beans dawg, i vote last post.. so now i dont evan have to open the thred i can just move my mouse over it ;)

i love the internet

4. Elan

Elan steve french

last. chances are if its a new post, yo uare going to read teh whole thing anyways, but if its just a reply, people are going to want to preview it before they load the page to see a shitty one liner

5. OTAdmin

My thoughts exactly. Most people are going to want to bypass your posts :p

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

burned

if that were all i wrote, the thread preview would come in handy if it previed the last post :ugh2:

7. Elan

Elan steve french

omgzzz..everybody here is gay

8. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

elans just mad because he got slated by the moderator :slap:

9. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

REally really good idea, but DEFINATELY the first post. Just think of how many post are really stupid and worthless, many are completely off the original topic and dont refer to the actual "topic" at all.
    200 characters is good.

10. Elan

Elan steve french

bloodhound...i dont understand.... you want LAST post

11. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

the first. i think it would be more useful to see what the topic is about, than half the last post that may or may not have anything to do with anything.

you can judge wether you want to view it or not. if you forget what topic is called that you want to go to, it is an easy way to see what topic is what. lots of other forums i visit have this, the frst post and it works very well.

i would have said ~500 characters, because its not like you run out of screen space, why not?

i see that there are a couple of good things about having it show the last.... but no. what if there are two posts since the last time you used it? oops, now it's useless.

by the way, it isn't working for me at the moment. should it be?

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

the first

matt you know how this site is more or less made in image of

they use the first....it is truth and the right...

13. OTAdmin

Holy crap, you're housed ehh?

But yes, I agree that for active forums where everything is scrolling off the first page in 5 minutes and you can maybe get through 1/5th the threads if you tried as hard as you can the first post would be the best, but for a forum where we're often revisiting the same topic for a few days, I thought it may be nice to have the last post viewed.

Ahh, it's all good between Elan and I. We ride together and get along well, I just like to prod him a bit :p. I'm guessing most regular readers of the forum know this :).

Yes it should definitely be working. What browser are you using? I can't stand netscape, so I have mozilla firebird and IE to check with... its working with both of them.
    Bill

14. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i have IE5.

the same feature works with another board i visit, but then i think it uses different software.

i have been having trouble with my pages not refreshing but i doubt it is that because... the pages are refreshing and stuff

15. Rob.K

Rob.K New Member

For what it's worth I like the preview to be of the last post.

It makes more sense. Elan explained it well.

16. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:rofl:

nice reply by me haahahahah. my ass hurts now from repeated poopies :wtc: ... never mix large amounts of high life and pbr.

17. OTAdmin

I'll let the poll run for a few days and then leave or change it depending upon the results.

18. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Case and point.

19. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Theres another one.

20. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

and another one.

And this one.

I count 9 out of 19 replys are completely useless to preview. (including this one) Thats almost half of them.

I hope people are understanding me.