Thompson Elite on Brisa Elite- loose

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by jkelley, Sep 8, 2004.

1. jkelley

jkelley Guest

Has anyone had trouble keeping a Thompson Elite stem tight? I have mine on a 2004 Brisa Elite fork, and perhaps the aluminum steering tube is too soft or something, but I tighten it all down turning each side of the crazy "internal clamp" thingy just a bit at a time, getting it all really tight- but in a few days of riding, the whole set up develops play! So now I have this $8.00 CNC'd cheapy on there with big 'ol bolts (where I can use a hex wrench that doesn't feel like it's going to snap) and it feels great. I would, however, like to use the Thompson I spent 90 bucks on. I am thinking maybe washers- that didn't come with the stem- might help get it all tight enough........has anyone else had this problem...or the problem of the star nut moving up in the Brisa Elite?

Thanks,
    Jeff Kelley

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

havent had the star nut problem but i do hate riding thompson stems for trials... they are great stems but i cant stand having my stem twist off whenever i do something with a move with a little steering toruqe. my thompson stem was crap and wouldnt hold on any fork regardless of what the steerer was made of. i ended up getting 2 warranty clamp bits and one new stem body from thompson and it didnt fix anything. the only thing that fixed my woes was a race face duece stem. one thing you can try is filing down the clamps- the part that sandwhiches together inside the stem, file those down. sometimes the stem bolts cant clamp down enough if there is too much material there- the clamps just bottom out against eachother rather than grabbing any tighter on the steerer. hopefully that made sense.

3. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i filed a waffle pattern intot he clamps, diggs in to the steerer better, hasnt moved since

4. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I wuz juzza bout to say just dat.

5. Paulsf

Paulsf New Member

I had the oppsite problem with a brisa pro fork and thompson stem. It was a super tight fit.