Observed Trials banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
As far as power goes, you'll get about the same from both. As far as longevity goes, the Ultimates will far outlast SD7s without going sloppy. My Ulimates are heading into their 5th season and still work like new.

·
Scorekeeper.
1,616 Posts
SD7s

I'd wait for TTown's input. I think he ran one Forte' arm and one Avid arm (on the same brake) for some time with an XTR lever. Are the SD7s really 2g lighter and 1/3 the price compared to the Ultimates?

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K, thanks guys, i want the ultimates, but, i want to spend less as possible, anyone know where i can get either of these in U.S. or Canada? Just wondering

·
Scorekeeper.
1,616 Posts
Seems that any respectable LBS should be able to get them for you.. Its a pretty standard item. I think I have SD7s on my XC bike.

·
Scorekeeper.
1,616 Posts
$22 versus $90 ... whoa.

Mow through 4 sets and still save $2?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K, boots, ill go to the bike shop and see what they can do for me​

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Brake calipers matter very little when it comes to brake power. Like boots said, in a pinch I have run a mismatched setup with worn out brake arms and still gotten plenty of power.

The real advantage of the Ultimate (which I can attest to now that I own a set) is the feel. They flex less, and have less forward/back slop. They also pivot with significantly less friction, meaning that you can back the return spring waay off and still not have lever play. This means somewhat less arm pump and a damned nice feeling brake if you use the right housing.

All that said, I'm running the ultimate setup on my street bike, and a magura setup on my comp bike and I won't be changing that any time soon.

·
Premium Member
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K, thanks Ttown, well ill just see how my money situation goes and that'll tell me wat im gettin ;)

·
Null.
1,866 Posts
The only difference you'll notice is the feel of the lever.

Cheaper arms will almost always be softer feeling.

Where as a nice stiff arm will translate that into lever feel, and be nice and crisp.

·
"bmxer"
1,501 Posts
I use the avid sd7s and am very happy with them. I did have the ultimates for a while, but I found the bearings didn't like being loaded as the brake was being forced for-aft. They went all notchy and made it impossible to set the brake up so the pads hit at the same time. I tried to replace the bearings but getting the old ones out wrecked the arms.

·
Ogre
126 Posts
i'm with team sd7 i'd also hate to smash up vee calipers worth nearly £100, as said before alot of the performance characteristics come from the rest of the setup. out of interest what lever and cables are you going to use?

·
Welcome to Estonia.
785 Posts
Buy the sd7's and use the extra $$$ for a good lever(XTR/ultimate) and good housing.

usually on a v-brake setup the housing + lever + pads are about 100x more important than the straight sticks of metal inbetween the pads and the frame(the brake arms)

·
wtflol
5,713 Posts
^ I rival anybody to try out my pauls set-up and say there's much better. Pauls Lever + Pauls brakes + XTR cables = gold. The Pauls brakes uses brass bushings and a strong spring instead of bearings. Impossible to get notched and you get a super nice feel on the lever couple with amazing performance.

Not saying at all that the Avid set-up is good, or even better when set-up by a different person, but I've never felt a more solid V than my Paul's. Only shit part is it's kinda expensive. That part right there is enough to stand off most people

·
Scorekeeper.
1,616 Posts
I have Paul Love levers on my XC bike and I don't think I'd like them for trials. :dunno:

Not a lot of leverage and they're not especially ergo. They feel fine for their current application and look nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts