Observed Trials banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trials Monkey
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why isn't there a thermal printer that prints on regular sized paper that doesn't cost $800?

I am so sick of dealing with ink I refuse to buy anymore. :run:

Am I just being stupid or is there just a massive gap in the market? :dunno:

·
Welcome to Estonia.
785 Posts

·
From your head to your fists
4,313 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Hard to argue for that thing when you can have this, which with duplex printing on normal paper has cheaper consumables, higher dpi, is almost four times faster, and prints thousands of pages on the toner cart that it comes with. And the print doesn't fade like thermal does.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1080909-REG/brother_hl_l2300d_monochrome_laser_printer.html

Just ordered that printer... Thanks for the tip- tired as fuck of bullshit inkjet crap when all I want to print is black text.

·
Trials Monkey
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The printer I got is super small, about the same size as the part of my arm between my wrist and elbow. You have to manually feed the paper in however it's great. Just a pain that you have to buy special paper but I don't have to fuck with ink ever again.

I really don't know why these aren't more mainstream.

·
4,313 Posts
Mostly because laser is way better and doesn't fade...

Enjoy individually loading pages for the rest of your life. I can print 250 at once from any computer in the house and don't have to buy thermal paper.

·
4,313 Posts
Just ordered that printer... Thanks for the tip- tired as fuck of bullshit inkjet crap when all I want to print is black text.
No worries. Feels like I've converted hundreds of people to laser. Every dick at the electronics store pushes an inkjet printer, "oh but you might want to print colour sometime". No one ever fucking does, and if they do then it's worth either buying a laser for text and an inkjet for colour, or getting all your colour shit printed at a print shop because it's way bloody nicer anyway and still cheaper than the inkjet consumables if you're only doing it occasionally.

Most people that don't print super often can buy a laser printer (for the same price as an inkjet) and then never have to replace the toner, fuck around running "cleaning cycles" or anything for 10+ years because lasers just sit there on standby no worries for months, then 10 pages come out in 10 fucking seconds without a hiccup.

Plus they usually keep paper internally so it doesn't get dusty (and then pull the dust through the rollers causing all sorts of shit), you can pack 250+ pages in there at one time...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts