The mountain biking thread

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by Keith Courage, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Keith Courage

Keith Courage Richard

Post anything about mountain biking. Ride reports, new technology (more on that, stay tuned), cross post pics from the NON trials stable thread, your favorite tires, Retro rigs, ANYTHING RELATED TO MOUNTAIN BIKING (that isn't trials, derp). Mostly I made this thread because I'm bored here and I just wanna go home and ride all my bikes. Please contribute.

In the last few years mountain biking has progressed (or regressed, depending on how you look at it) by huge strides.

New 35mm standard for stem/bars
    650b
    15mm thru axle, thru axle rear, etc
    10 speed
    Fox's CTD stuff

There is a bunch of shit happening and it blows my mind how different a bike from 2005 will look and ride compared to something from 2015.

OTN mountain bikers, what's your take on all this new stuff?

Personally, I've only ridden one 10 speed bike and it was 1x10. I can't really comment with such limited experience. Apparently that stuff wears out faster? Did any goo when they first rode 10 speed?

650b seems silly. If you don't like how a 29er feels and you can't hang with a 26er, you probably should just stop riding. Mountain biking isn't meant for you.

All this thru axle stuff is awesome. Almost looking forward to replacing my frame in a couple seasons just to ride TA.

2. treewizzard

treewizzard draquella is back!

i dont really care for any of this new stuff, i had some forks with a 20mm thruaxle and i thought it was neat, but i didnt notice any real difference. then again i wasnt riding downhill.

i think i have 27 speeds? really you only need like three, i kind of want to just throw a trials freewheel on the rear and have gears up front, id it with a road bike an it was great.

im really held back by my shitty shitmano hub and old rockshox fork, and my frame can only fit some 2.3" tires. i can do a pretty good roll-up on my mtb but my forks will probably break.

650b???? just sounds like now that everyone got a 29er bike manufacturers have to start selling something new and exciting to make more money. i can ride better than tons of people on my 26", flats, climbing, not really decents because so many people here have full-sus but i can still tear it up on a 23 year old bike.

id still ride any bike, and id probably get a 29er if the bottom brackets werent so damn low.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

650b is for road bikes w 700c wheels to fit larger tires / fenders for touring riding.

I never saw anything wrong with 26" wheels... For any application.

4. troski

troski New Member

Had a go of a shimano demo 2 x 10 in a race on the weekend and I think I like it.With a 3 x 9 I sit in the middle ring 90% of the time,but on the double chainring set-up the front is changed more but not as much as I expected.
    I still haven't ridden a 29er but most people I know that have rave about them,sounds like they eat up the miles and the bumps,But a bit of stiffness is lost and weight gained.Sounds like they have their place but I'm not convinced they are the best do-it-all MTB.

5. Mud

Mud Member

As far as the new stuff goes I haven't ridden a whole lot of it, but all in all it is kind of cool.

I have a fully 29er. it is only a 120 travel but it is a nice ride. I am 6'3" and it fits me really well. We have pretty flat trails here so that my have something to do with it.

My DJer has a 20mm TA. I really like it, goes well with the float 36. This is a 26"er, Cove Hooker.

Around here we stick people over 5'8" on 29ers and under that gets a 650b. Works well. These are custom carbon hardtails mostly.

As Andy said my 650b is a street bike with fenders and big fat 42mm tires.

I like all the new stuff.

6. 444

444 Long live the new flesh!

Yeah. My Shred's got like 16 speeds, and I only use about five of 'em. Besides, the derailleur and right rear drop out are kinda' fucked from bashing them, and then bending them back into place, when I was using it to learn some trial stuff--they need to be replaced, heh.

I'd like it to have one cog on the front, and five on the back: that'd suit me perfect.

7. Mud

Mud Member

My Hooker is a 6 spd. Other than the occasional big hill, that is all I need.

8. Keith Courage

Keith Courage Richard

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I bought a $20 bike and put new tires on. Was first up the mountain by a long shot on the first ride with 8 people. $2250 for a bike seems hilarious to me unless you are going on a transalp ride or living on the thing...but I do love ghetto things that go faster/are better when properly applied.

10. literocola

literocola Well-Known Member

The prices of the new SpecialEd bikes are seriously out of control. I can get a badass fullblown DH from Kona, with an awesome build at half the price as a new Enduro.
    The whole carbon idea on mountain bikes, just seems like a bad idea, but time will tell. I am gonna stick with my aluminium.

I've got a late 90's Schwinn Homegrown Team Tomato that I got for 300, and clown people XC on it. Fucking best climbing, descending, airborn bike I've ever owned.

The prices in general of bikes these days- make me wanna spend my money on a enduro motorcycle. Why pedal when I can get a throttle for cheaper?

11. Jitters

Jitters One Trick Pony

Agreed. Ditched the outer for a good bash, and haven't been happier. Mind you, I'm not doing any AM or DH, just non-race XC.

12. riderdad

riderdad Old punk

I did this on my rockhopper 29 for the same reason. With a bashring, it glides right over stuff now.
    On the 29" note, it has been a great fit for me. I ride xl frames, and 29" wheels just balance out with a big, long frame better than 26" wheels ever did.

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

How are you hitting your bash guards :squint:

14. literocola

literocola Well-Known Member

I had to take the 3rd ring off the Homegrown. Was a huge debate if I wanted speed, or of if I wanted to roll down stuff without hitting the ring. Was kinda sad the other day when a guy on a Fuji roadbike and I raced down this hill, I ran outta gear- so had the wholeshot, but stupid no 3rd ring- and got smoked.

15. Sam.S

Sam.S Active Member

Has anyone tried the Avid Elixir 5? or any Elixir for that matter?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67756

I was thinking bb7, but elixir actually turns out to be cheaper once you add in the seperate cable, lever, and rotor you have to get with the bb7.

It's going to be used on my NS Suburban street bike for stopping before traffic and pedestrians, so power really isn't that much of an issue.

More so, I'm just looking for a solid reliability.

16. Sam.S

Sam.S Active Member

17. shakes

shakes New Member

This totally should be in another thread... Alloy WILL fail, not if but when. A dint, will propogate a crack in alloy just a quick as carbon. Typical lightwieght super thin tube alloy that actually rides nice even quicker..

I would go shimano for brakes, or bb7. Avid hydro's suck all round, especially come bleed time.

18. Keith Courage

Keith Courage Richard

If you are simply stopping your bike for traffic and pedestrians, get the cheapest thing you can.

Gusset makes a BB7 knockoff that is 54 bucks from Universal and it comes with a rotor (no lever or cables, sorry).
    If you don't mind spending 112 on Elixir 7s, then you should probably consider these:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/Magura-Marta-FR-Disc-Brake-2011

19. Mud

Mud Member

I am not a huge fan of them. When they work, they are pretty good, I like the feel of Hopes better.
    When you need to bleed them they are a pain. Sometimes it goes fine, other times they will not bleed worth a shit. I have yet to figure out why...

My experience is with Elixir CR's and up the line.

20. NateE

NateE wtflol

My MTB came in. Cannondale Jekyll Carbon 2. Looking forward to riding it. Waiting on a tapered adapter upper for the headset since the fork I have is tapered, not straight 1.5.

Depending on how these hubs are, I may just keep the wheels as they're pretty light at 1750g.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015