the mental battle

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by evileye, Apr 1, 2004.

1. evileye

evileye Guest

hi i was just woundering how you people deal with the mental battle of riding trials?
    thanks

2. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Like how to continue dedicating myself to learning another technique even though it seems impossible?

3. Cole

Cole New Member

Umm....clarify. What mental battle? You get on your bike and go practice. Progress at a logical pace so you don't die if you screw up and there isn't anything to be afraid of.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

the mental battle: alot like sonic said. the fact that yo usomehow keep riding your bike, even after watching numerous coustellier videos and wanting to commit suicide shortly after. AHAHAHA

5. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

:werd:

Coust is exactly who I thought of.

If that's what you mean evileye then I cant really say, some people have it within them to just keep going because theyre having a good time with it even though they suck (me).

For those who have to work sooooo hard on just keeping the right attitude, you might not be participating in the right sport? :?

But for those who arent working all that hard but still get pretty frustrated, just take a break from it. Whether it be taking 5 minutes before trying a move that youve been trying nonstop, or take a break for 5 days and watch some vids and go back and try it later. Ive even heard of some people taking a break for months (usually because theyre busy) and then coming back and being smoother or actually getting something because they lost some bad habits that they were getting too accustomed to before. This happened to me when I was getting married and graduating in the month of December. When I got back on my bike I had only watched videos for the past month for my trials fix, no riding, so when I got back on I visioned more of the movements of those better riders in videos, not the crappy movements I was so used to from riding every day.

6. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

yea i sorta get what you mean.. why do we put our selves throught the pain and heartache of a trials ride then come home and see some video of some uci guys flowing through a urban section. take the piss but when you think about how long you've been riding and how long they have been riding the future seems bright.

I keep on going because its not just about trials.. i have to travel 30 miles to where we usually ride and its a chance to catch up on info with my mates since i live in the middle of no where. I think it takes a special strain of people to do trials.. when you see a rider you have respect ( even if they are an arrogant twat ) purely because you know they are doing something that requires effort.. you dont just wake up one day and can do every move perfect. it takes practice time and effort just like the cous guys do........ practically their life is trials just like ours

7. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

I watch someone better than me on a section I thought might be out of my league... And then I do it. I practice, and build up to it as well.

8. Paul

Paul Guest

When I get frustrated or some things just don`t go as they should,I usually take a 4-10 days break,it really works. After these breaks I`m smoother too :p Someone posted on here,and I totally agree, the time spent off the bike has its contribution.

9. cogmog

cogmog Member

Im sport, maybe upper sport. Im 33 and not interested in breaking anymore bones or recieving anymore stitches. I still make slow progress and notice a little improvement every so often. (kevin: those wedge prac vids definetly offer some fresh air for me! thanks) For me it's not about being able to ride like the coust brothers or whoever (although I can dream!). It's what you get out of it personally......If you are enjoying it...ride,....if not take a break, try again. Believe me.....mental struggle gets alot harder with age!!!!!! But you still get the same adrenaline rush, and that is why we do it,....isnt it?

10. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

But if you take 4-10 days off you don't get to ride.. Is getting better the only reason some off you ride?

11. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Practice. That's all I can say from my own experience.

It's funny how certain moves come naturally practicing the very basics. For the longest time I could not rear hop in place & never thought about dropping an easy 3ft. But as I started to get better at rear hopping, being on a high ground wasn't as scary like before.

It's all about trusting yourself & the bike. And know your limits :)

12. Justr1ght

Justr1ght Guest

I wonder if he didn't mean the mental battle U have with your self right before doing somthing bigger then U have done before.
    Like the first time U up onto somthing like a pole... with nothing for the front tire to land on...
    I know that is the hardest thing for me in trials.. Not that I do anything that good, but just trying to up somthing real big or somthing like that...
    Like how do U guys get up the nerve to pull a gap and land on somthing tiny where if U mess up U get hert..
    Eric aka...Red

13. planetary1

planetary1 New Member

Here is my mental battle and hopefully some of you share this.

For the most part it is not so much about learning techniques anymore or about trying this or that because I can usually get what I set my mind to getting within the reasonable limits of my skill level. It has kind of come down to a simple do or not do..."try" almost doesn't come into play anymore. It seems like if I can visualize doing something successfully than I will and that initial visualization part is the most crucial.

So the battle is that sometimes I just won't "do" the move...it's not because I had my body position wrong or that I had to start on a strangely shaped rock or whatever but something inside made me lose focus and not complete the move successfully. It is almost like I am holding myself back sometimes from doing what I know I can do. Does this make any sense? This one guy who I ride with will see me fuck up and he'll say stuff like "you were leaning too far back", or "you need more run up" or something and I'll be like no, I just didn't do it and that is the only reason that I didn't do it. He doesn't get what I mean and it's hard to explain.
    So somebody else please say you know what the hell I am rambling about...[/i]

14. cogmog

cogmog Member

Yeah, I thought you were talking about the fear factor.........Thats where I'm not willing to go huge like the rest of you young fuckers.....(andrew, Kevin).........But Yeah I still understand what your saying, right now Im frustrated to hell with my side up's. Little ones are o.k. but higher ones screw with me......!

15. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

I know what you're rambling about.

16. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

I used to play basketball. After playing a pickup game, you think I would go watch a Michael Jordan video and get frustrated that I cant do the same thing? Na. The guy is totally out of my league. Its stupid to even make the comparison.

Why would anyone want to compare themselves to the Coust brothers? The only way to become great is to become good first.

And Planetary, it sounds that you're just talking about your ability to focus, and be decisive on a move. In other words, you think too much.

17. Paul

Paul Guest

No,I didn`t say I rode only for getting better... this "getting better after a few days` break" is only a thing I noticed .

18. AndyT

AndyT New Member

hey dave im about to be 22, thats not young in my book- kevin is 18, thats barely young....look at some of those canadians- 12-15 years old and at the pro level. I didn't even know what mountain biking was till I was 17.

19. cogmog

cogmog Member

Just wait till your thirties.....I picked up bike trials at 28.....been riding almost 5 years now and still love it, but I'm still not expert! It's ok though, dont know many other peeps my age around here who are willing to try it! (on another note, Akira, expert rider in CO who is around 33 or so, is sooooo smooth for an old man! LOL :D )