the definitive easy-to-make 4 bolt > v-brake adapters

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by AgrAde, Mar 10, 2004.

1. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i'm posting this because virtually everyone is like "eh? are these possible? has anyone made them before? i want some!" and noone ever gets around to making them. so here you go. they are shit easy to make and i'm going to post this all over the intraweb so people shut up.

you need to make two things. one even a moron with one arm could make, and the other requires a bit of skill, but a metal shop would do it for cheap as anything, and someone skilled with metal could whip one up in a second given some machinery.

[​IMG]

the first thing is a bit of sheet metal. get a bit of metal and drill a 5 mm hole in it. 9mm away from the centre of that drill another hole, this time a 3 mm or so. it helps if you have a sharp drill bit that is not bent nor blunt. i had bent and blunt bits, thats why my drilling is insanely shitty.

the long bit at the top pushes against the side of the top magura hole to stop it it being pushed around by the spring in the v-brake. you can always make it to bolt to the top hole, but when i did that, the adapter and the screw got in the way of the brake arms. besides, this needs less measuring.

the stud is just a 4 bolt magura sized thread on the bottom and a v-brake mount on the top. you need a lathe, a tap, a die and a file to make a suitable one. the hex doesnt have to be there - just two flat sides to tighten the thing up. just look at a frame for dimensions. again, a metal working place won't charge shit to make this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry, that last photo has the worst angle ever but it was the easiest way to get a clear photo :ugh2:

2. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

ghetto..... pimp.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Wait, I'm pretty sure you need to be an engineer and go through 4 months of surveying and testing to get a prototype, then wait a few years for it to be made ?

:dunno:

4. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

nah, i dont think you even need to have the engineer do testing, jsut leave him with the plans for 4 months, but keep the hype going for sure.

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

Thats way to hard, can you just make them and sell them to me?

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

haha, after seeing that no way in hell i'd every pay for one! Good idea and thanks for sharing

7. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

mmmm, tar. good idea man, im working on some lesscrude one for my bike..

8. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

so - your frame is an echo pure, your rim appears to be a DX32 of some branding, do you have width troubles with this? because I would probably be using a try-all rim with the same frame.

thanks for good idea btw

- Joel

9. vince

vince Member

That is the ugliest adapter possible. i tried one similar to that...but some modifications were needed. I've got a blueprint but the paint file is too large to upload. it would need a machinist though.

10. AgrAde

its fooken ugly yes. but you don't see it anyway.

echo pure and the drilled echo 'dx32'. perfect spacing, the brakes lock at 90 degrees from the rim with no spacers at all - with deores and shimano cartridge pads. i'm guessing its similar spacing with most v-brakes?

11. Janson

Janson Guest

On the topic of v-brake adapters.....

In my avatar you can see my last design. I've kinda scrapped that one, got a new one here.. Looks a bit tidier than the topic starter's :greddy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:bigthumb:

12. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

Jansons are perfect. exact same setup I used on my Megamo...

haha i used the same brake, pads and booster too

13. Patrick

Patrick New Member

someone needs to start selling them..

14. Janson

Janson Guest

I feel a bit ashamed, i saw your ghetto paint drawing.. did some measuring to make sure it worked, and made a pair.. so the credit goes do Dave Herr, hehe.

The only tricky part was the custom lathed brake post. Seeing as the post off my Kinesis forks had a strange thread, not an M8 or M10 as i thought...

Works damn well with the XTR booster..

15. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

copy cat! jk

yea that shimano booster is the best ever. i use a dual disc now so it doesn't matter anymore though.

i think your crescent is similar to the megamo as far as stay width and such. cuz some ppl go straight into the bottom magura mount but that definitely didn't work on my megamo...

16. Janson

Janson Guest

Yeah, the maggie mount placement along the stay can make this way of adapting impossible. The brake pad sits as far up along the brake arm as it can go (do I make sense?).. So, if the mag mounts had been a few millimeters further down the stay, i'd have to use another adapter.

My original design was making the adapters a one-piece, horseshoe design, which would help reduce the little frame flex that is present..

V-brakes kick magura's asses.....

17. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

someone start selling them.....

18. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

please do. i would pay some cashola for one, as long as it's nice and sturdy like jansons or whatever. PM me or something, as im tired of dealing with gay fagety ass magura's. they can suck my nuts, i need a front vee :werd:

19. AgrAde

i found the design that janson has works sweet for thin rims (d521 etc) and mine for thicker rims.

20. Janson

Janson Guest

Surely there's no difference in the sideways location of the brake?

I probably won't be selling mine... But who knows...