the collective....

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by Peace, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Peace

Peace pedocrab

is it just me or does this dvd suck ass! the mojority of it is them riding trails and hitting little jumps.... gets fuckin boring and shows no skill, the only bit of street/trials was leech and it was very short! amazing! but short....
    The only thing this film has going for it is the excellent quality footage! the scenery and angles they get are great! just pity about the riding... they must of had a helcopter in for one or 2 shots of it.
    Utah redbull jam thing was pretty good! some big hucks and wicked stacks! but thats about it.... real let down. Only two types of riding can you have specific vids out for without them getting repetitive. Street and trials because there are soooo many variables!
    With DH.... well they are all just jumps or drops but in different places... there wasnt even a back flip in this vid! cmon! i trials ride can do one off a tree and they cant put one in the whole vid!
    The leech section isnt long enough to warrant buying it..
    Well thats my review, just wanna know what other ppl thought of it?
    Peace

2. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

Dh/FR/DJ is way harder then it looks.....

3. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

not true in my opinion. it looks pretty darn difficult, but I have raced my fair share of dual slalom and dh races and I must say it really isnt all that difficult. freeride is all about what kind of freeride you are doing. when you are up at that skill level things really arent difficult at all, its just getting the balls to do stuff.

4. Peace

Peace pedocrab

its more balls dude, and commitment (which ties in with balls) have you seen the vid? seriously a lot of it is them riding singletrack! on duallys!! and the man made north shore type wooden tracks in it are pez!
    It looks to me that they focused too much on the filming and not the riding content... but yeah havent seen a bike vid filmed so well though! and its on REAL film too.
    Peace

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i dont mean to sound like a dick but if you think every corner, every jump, every shute, every drop is the same and is boring then it would seem to me you dont speak with a single second of first hand experience. if you ask me trials and street are fucking boring to watch because it looks all the same. a gap is a gap, youre just going from one different thing to another compared to the shot before... thats like saying every dirt jump is the same because you go up in the air and then you come back down.

"there wasnt even a backflip in this vid".... THANK GOD. you know how stupid and boring watching backflip after backflip is. considering kevin robinson did a flip to flair in the same air this year at gravity games a boring ass backflip on a mountain bike just isnt all that exciting. not to knock timo but in the new world videos, his flips are played out. (on the same subject as flips, the redbull rampage 3 dvd putting kyle straights backflip ATTEMPT on the cover was rediculous. considering all the sick shit pulled at that event to put something that wasnt landed on the damn cover blows my mind...)

jordie lunn is a very under appreciated rider and to hit the corners he was at that speed (and shandro and watson and romaniuk for that matter) takes more of this so called skill than just hucking yourself off a wall. this gets back to my whole rant before that can be summed up with: RACING > hucking. the reason i liked the free riding aspect of the collective was because it was creative lines (like natural wall rides) and took actual skill to pull off that stuff.bearclaws riding in utah was amazing. (getting back to natural wallrides- mountain bikes should put on knobby tires and head back to dirt because stree has been officially destroyed by bmx. when i see a mtn bike do a wall ride in the city its boring as hell. we should draw from bmx but do it in our own way. the big ass natural wall rides that vanderham, bearclaw, and hunter do in the collect are perfect examples of this concept of building off other stuff but in our own direction.)

ive already said too much in this post but i cannot in any way understand where youre coming from on this review because i am the polar opposite of your opinion of it. i would be just tickled to death if every single movie i ever saw in mtn biking again were like the collective.

6. WhiteRavenKS

as to your "real film" comment... kranked, new world series... tons of huge budget bike flicks are shot with 16mm. its nothing special. considering how good you can make video look (take a good skate video for example), saying that a movie is good because it was shot with film is like saying that buying an xtp will make you ride like vincent.

7. Peace

Peace pedocrab

yes i realise that, but they did do a good job of it.... maybe it was because it was on dvd and i have kranked on vid... but the scenes were picturesque.

ok yes it had a FEW nice moves in it, i liked the wall rides and some of the element of speed. but cmon i dont buy a vid to watch ppl ride single track for most of it or ride along grassy plains...
    I just got frustrated with it because they were just showing shit that was pretty cool but not "shit dude you gotta get that on footage!" thats what I personally buy vids for, trials is not repetitive, because yeah theres gaps, but then theres rail gaps, front wheel gaps, 180 gaps. the list doesnt end. also theres how they get to that gap, style, different technique. Sure there is in MTB as well but its a lot harder to differenciate...
    I bought this vid because i thought it was gonna have a bit of everything and there was a lot of anticipation for it!
    I liked the lifestyle aspect of it, just ridin with ya mates havin a good time... sure it would been awesome for them! but fuck i dont wanna pay to watch someone just ride along. Sorry but thats just me and MY opinion on mtb vids.

Dont bullshit me and say that wallrides on a dually are difficult, specially with a runnup and ramp. yes i saw those and was impressed, but gimme a dually and some time to get used to it and i would have a go.

The street shit that chase, lenosk and all them pull is more the fact they are going all out and bustin shit over hard concrete! and still making it look smooth.
    All im saying is doin that stuff on 9 inch duallys aint a big deal. I appreciate the really fast stuff and having amazing controll of your bike with the dirt at those speeds is very difficult and takes time!
    I like vids that i can watch over and over.... and im sorry but I couldnt watch the collective multiple times. It could be that i dont ride trails very much and its not by any means a large passion of mine, but i enjoyed kranked 3 more than the collective.
    Once again my review, not flingin shit at anyone.
    Peace

8. WhiteRavenKS

word, well im glad you share your opinion honestly- thats a big step up from most of the stupid trash i read on the net.

as for wall rides on a dh bike- i didnt say they were hard (btw... they are. i honeslty would love to let you have my dh bike for the day to mess around and get used to it and then watch you get 12 feet up on a natural wall ride- i dont mean that as trash talk, i just mean it as you might want to reconsider your views. a dh bike doesnt make you a good rider. a good rider is awesome regardless of how much his/her bikes shock moves and it shows in their riding), i just said when i watch someone on a mtn bike do a wall ride in the city it looks boring as hell because in comparison to what ive seen bmx do with wallrides- mtn bike stuff is stupid and tame. what i was saying was that rather than trying to ride bmx on a 26" bikes, we should take from bmx and instead of copying, add it as a new flavor in the mix of what we already have. i wont name the video release but watching dozens of stupid abubacas in the city on 26" bikes is just absurd. show me a mtn bike doing an abubaca off a tree stump in the woods off to the side of some trail and i will appreciate it. thats what i mean with the wall rides in the collective.

giving people credit because of doing stuff on concrete... that just sounds wack to me. dirt and rocks are pretty god damn hard when you hit the ground on a trail. when i see a rider take a spill in a rock garden (west virginia- go watch earthed) i can tell you that it hurts just as much if not worse than when a rider falls on concrete. its a arbitrary thing to say concrete is more hard core... that would sound the same if someone came up and said "dark grey concrete is more hard core to do stuff on than light grey concrete"

maybe because i spend a lot of time behind the lens i have a different point of view on the collective. i would ten times rather see a well made movie of people "riding through grassy plains" (which i only really saw in the shandro/watson section, i dont know what else there is of that in the collective) than i a pile of dog shit movie full of "oh my god, gnar core you have to see this" riding any day. as of late there has been a flood of sub par piles of crap films released in mtn biking. amature shitty ass videos being sold as the next big thing... actual next big things being made so poorly from the same tired cookie cutter formula... the entire industry needs to wake up. the worst "big time" skate video i have ever seen probably outdoes the entire mtn bike world in terms of production and quality. mtn biking needs to realize quality > quantity. if only three movies came out a year but were at the level that the collective was made- it would be the best thing to ever happen to the mtn bike film world. why does the industry feel the need to crank out tons of trash instead.

9. Peace

Peace pedocrab

yeah i totally agree with you, with the whole concret thing i meant that they would be lading on FLAT concrete compared to a steep slope or runoff in dh.... thats all i was getting at, bad wording.

yes i agree there are a shitload of just plain old shit vids out there! its very unfortunate that they just dont team up and work at putting out a kickass vid that will last ppl a long time!
    i wish another contact would be realeased but with more of tongue, holroyd and them lot cos we just dont see enough of those guys and i keep hearing about the bullshit moves they are bustin out.... theres already plenty of euro stuff on the net and thats how i like it. The euro dvd's or vids i have seen just arent as entertaining, cos they do get a bit repetitive... (the ones i have seen)

But yeah in collective i just think they coulda done better, put more riding in there and a bit more variety...

Also with trials, we could put out the BEST vid to date for everyone to see. But its seems the community has split and ppl have gotten fed up or moved or merged paths in their riding which is a pity cos it just doesnt feel as close... the pros (leech, trappe, jj, lenosky, tongue, akkers) just dont meet up anymore or ride together.... If i were pro i would love to ride with all the others at my level! and just make an awesome vid that would last forever!
    I really hope the community comes back together a bit more but i think im kidding myself.

Oh and a dh bike wont make you a better rider! but it will
    A. give you more confidence
    B. allow you to make more mistakes
    well thats what it does for me, once i get on a bike with suspension and shit that im not worried is gonna brake, ill do a fair bit of shit on it! and thats just my px bommer... never owned a big rig, just dont see the point for me. they are fun though. But hey i would be wearing a bit more protective gear.. hehe

reckon we should make a giant poll about a contact 2 or something? and hope that Reed or someone takes notice?
    Peace

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

that is a lot of posting.

i watched re:evolution today and this guy was doing NWD type shit- huge bender drop...but then he hit some crazy natural rock berm, then came up a huge hill at like 50 mph and did a backflip off into some cactus...was fucking sick IMO

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

We get Decline in our shop and they did an interview with this guy who won Crankworx(or whatever contest where they had the Slopestyle), and this was his 1st MAJOR event. So he was an unknown. He rode BMX, and did OK in the BMX scene, lotsa 3rds or whatever, but didn't have many competitions under his belt... Timo got injured, so he by default got 1st...everybody is on his jock. His "trick" is a one handed tailwhip or something...just goes to show, if you're mediocre in BMX, you'll be god in MTB "street"....