Techniques help

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Spacemunkee, May 9, 2004.

1. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

Ok.. since ive started doing natural alot now i was just wondering if there are any other techniques i should learn to improve my riding heres what i can do so far (useful in natural)

wheelswap/switch
    surge
    wedge (takes forever to get myself set up)
    bunnyhop around
    im trying to learn to go to front wheel on things but i aint exactly good enough yet.. i can do it on small ups im talkin like 1foot stuff but i can never go to back wheel i just like land on the front then let it roll out so im on the object to two wheels if you get what i mean.. like kev does in his practice video where he switches to the back wheel as well...

thinking about all this now i guesse natural is all about experience.. like the more you do it the better you will get.. its fun.. but hard and demoralising :ugh2:

2. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

My morals are already reprehensible!

3. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

You didnt mention you could gap, rear to rear, or sidehop up. What about front hooks?

4. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

yea i can gap like 6ft n a bit and sidehop up bout 30 inches.. not very big i know :( i need to learn to front hook! can it be done by pedalling in to it instead of bunnyhopping cos i really am shite at them

5. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

I would suggest working on move accuracy and being able to setup moves quicker. I found naturals to be really frustrating because I would sit on a rock with both brakes locked, just waiting for everything to be just right. By the time I'd go to pull off the move my forearms would be exausted!

If you can make the move and then setup quickly you will
    A: Be a much smoother rider
    B: Have more quality riding time
    C: Probably even be able to ride for longer

This goes along with what Kevin says about only using the brakes you have to.

Keep at it

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

what level are you at in terms of competition? i realized last comp, that i'm getting to far ahead of my self. i can pedal up near handlebar height, and gap pretty far. im comfortable with ups/gaps to front wheel as well. however, im not putting enough time into riding rocks. i make stupid dabs just because i don't have the experiance required to ride rocks well. here's my plan for the next month 1/2: ride just rocks. 0 rear wheel moves, you don't need them for small stuff. just surge around and get up and down stuff the easiest way possible. i plan on doing this until im real comfortable on many different kinds of rocks. then, when i enter another comp, i should be able to do much better. it's all ways the little stuff that gets you, not the big stuff (for me anyways)

7. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

yup that the whole reason i started doing rocks.. trials was becoming really boring just trying big ups and stuff.. sorta felt pointless? if i dare say that. Rocks really screw you over if your try and do back wheel stuff .. well thats what ive found anyway.

i know exactly what u mean KR about the whole setup thing.. you can be stuck on a rock for ages and be balancing just as u go to do it u lose it all again and dab really annoying.. the better riders just flow through sections none of this stop start crappy that im doing all time.. will have a good go at using the brakes i only need too :) thanks ppl

8. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

once you become better at balancing and surging around on both wheels, rear wheel will be no problem. that's my philosophy :bigthumb: