Technique, Smoothness... inherent or practiced?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Stock, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

I was thinking about this today. Is smoothness and 'perfect' technique something that comes naturally through extensive time on the bike, or is it something that you have to consciously work at in order to develop.

For example, let's say someone who has a bit more than ten thousand hours on bike, without ever consciously attempting to improve on their technique or smoothness, just by riding progressively trickier and bigger sections, will they automatically be smooth smooth and fluid, or will they just be reinforcing some of their 'stiff' or ungainly riding from when they were a beginner?

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

wow, after ten thousand hours on a bike you should be able to fly away with it. Maybe thats why the frenchies are so good...

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

some people always look shady/jerky (jeremy van - ibflames) no matter how good they are. Others are born smooth.

You can learn to be smooth- but once you get tired don't expect the form to stay...

4. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

You are talking about a motorskill, while everyone has their limits, each person can become their best the quickest by practicing the desired skill properly. In other words the same person will get smoother faster by trying to ride smoothly verses just doing what ever feels good.

Each rider will have their own gifts and some people will be naturally smoother than other, but in order for that person to be the smoothest possible, he will have to think about riding smoothly and practice that way with that intention.

And the funny thing is riders that some people think are smooth others think they are jerky!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  5. AndyT

AndyT New Member

also smoothness is in the eye of the beholder.

Another thing I've noticed is the differences in lengths of arms/legs/other body parts determines to some affect how someone will look riding...as well as previous sports experience- if one of your body parts are conditioned and much stronger than others that will affect how you ride.

6. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

Its something that definitely comes with time. but you can definitely practice trying to ride smoother as well.

7. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

I've got a fever... and the only cure for that fever is more cowbell!

8. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

Of course, the more you practice and the more comfortable you feel on bike, the smoother you will be. Smoothness is a combination of good muscle control and overall calmness. An expert/pro rider will usually look smoother simply because his muscles are familiar with the moves and perform them with less effort. At the same time though, you have to be calm. A lot of riders will look very smooth out on ride, but throw them in a competition, or set them up with difficult move with consequence, and they might get very shakey. I know a lot of times I have to remind myself to stop hopping and just sit there and trackstand.

9. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

to an extent i think some people are just naturally smoother than others. im not saying you cant work towards it but it seems that some guys are way lighter riding on their bikes than others. patrick here in denver may not throw down the biggest things ever known to man (no offense or down talking intended Patrick!) but he is one of the smoothest and most composed riders i have ever seen. compare that to the Pancho of 8 months ago who would drop anything, throw huge gaps, try whatever you told him to but he was always teetering on the edge of disaster (he has since smoothed out a TON, good example of changing ways). on a higher level, the coustelliers dont drop all that well compared to kenny or vincent or many others but then again smooth drops dont often win comps so it's sort of trivial.

10. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Kevin is right...people have their own skills...just as some are born with natural hops some are more flexible and able to control the bike better then another.

Then again the more you practice I'm sure the body will learn to be less aggressive...something I'm practicing.

11. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Patrick has had mad smooth skills since like the first time on his bike..

12. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Haha.. I saw that stuff to! I don't know where though. It was Christopher Walken right? Where did you see it? I laughed so hard when I saw it...

13. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

Yeah that is true, I was in crew for some time in HS and the coach looked at one of my friends and kept yelling at him because his technique was wrong but he couldn't figure out why. Finally one day he just yelled at top of his lungs, Josh you have monkey arms! That's why you can't row right.

Kind of random but I think you get the idea.....

14. pav

pav New Member

hey i dont know about you guys but i have found that you are smoother with better technique
    i used to be really unsmooth, but i fixed it by learning proper technique as best as i could and i have also found that sometimes it can be harder trying to ride smooth, like if you try and do a pump gap smoothly and you think soft landing you wont stretch properly and will land very hard where as you must try and land as hard as you can slamming the back down and you wont even rim out! well thats what happens in my case and thats how i was taught but it damn well works!
    i would say if you are unsmooth go for perfect technique and smoothness will come with that, then when you work on smoothness ontop of that you should be pretty good!
    it has worked for me and i am still not very smooth but i dont rim out and make loud noises, etc when i ride anymore

pav

15. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

around here a couple of riders started trials around a year ago, and since then the have learned moves very very fast, but they just focus on doing some big moves and not on "style". so they can do some lines i would think lots of times about before doing it, but when they do it i fear for them because theyre all over the place and slam everything they do. i myself cant go biiiig, so i sort of have to make do by doing smaller moves with good technique, being as smooth as i can. its definately something i consiously work on when i ride, and it is tiring at first, but then like doing a move, it just becomes second nature.

16. cholm

cholm New Member

the amount of time you have ridden doesnt have everything to do with it. there are some riders ive scene who have ridden for a long time but arent very smooth at all. its all about learning how to adapt to the bike and not over reacting to a move. i thnink jj and eddie tongue are some of the smoothest riders. being relaxed is the key part of riding smooth.

17. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I agree with Andrew....body parts and thier conditioning can have a huge effect on technique and possible smoothness. I for example am a 6 foot 155 lb weak noodle. I rely on having to learn how to throw my weight and position myself to get the most out of what strength I have......it may look like smoothness to some, but it's infact me being a weak fuck and learning how to throw and control my weight :rofl:

18. Elan

Elan steve french

i dont know if anybody said anything about this... but the people you ride with can influence your 'style' to a large extent. and also the way you look at obstacles and whatever

19. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

like that Ed fag.. he cant ride for shit and he is so chunky :down:

20. durkie

durkie Member

shit ed, i don't know if you're just fishing for compliments or what, but you've got a touch of the old smoothness.