Tar

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Ryden, May 3, 2004.

1. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Heyo,
    Now that I'm advancing more in rear wheel moves, I definately need more stopping power. I thought about grinding, but I'm too lazy and afraid of messing up my pads. So I want to start using tar. I've heard roofing tar, which sounds like a bitch to get, but I've also heard of road tar from argade. So what is the best way to get/apply tar? Anything else important I should know?
    PS I'm running avid sd 7's.

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

don't use tar on vee brakes. with hydraulics tar works because the fluid inside of the brake line will suck the pads in. with normal vees the pads will get stuck to the rim (i THINK)
    but anyways, to apply tar just use the solid stuff (none of that bullshti about putting it on a rag and then smearing it on your rim). just get a solid chuck and put a thin, thin coating all the way around your rim. you only need to do it on one side, that's all you'll need.

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

It is plenty safe to run tar with maguras or V-brakes, in fact I think the V-brake springs offer a stronger "pull away" than with the maguras. Anyhow, The way I applied it was I just took a small chunk in my hand, got my rear wheel spinning really fast, then just barely touched the tar to the rim for a turn or two. That leaves a thin coat on the rim pretty nicely. You'll know if you overapply because your pads will grab unexpectedly and not want to let go when you let off the lever. And you'll know when you underapply because your brakes won't work up to par. You can do one or both sides of the rim, I usually did both.

4. KenC

KenC Member

If you ride in the wet, don't use tar. When it gets wet, you basicly lose all power.

5. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Actually its the other way around. Small chunks of tar can damage the seals in the slave cylinders. (i've never had this happen but supposedely it can occur). V brakes also pull appart stronger than HS33. You can apply to one side or both sides. I used to apply to both sides. You should apply not too much beause otherwise you can get issues with pads sticking to the rim.

Tar don't work for crap in the wet though. It will actually be worse than without having tar.

6. B1105

B1105 New Member

Just grind it, you'll replace your pads faster, but its so worth it. My first grind dramatically improved my skill alone with a wider rear rim.

7. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

to get tar - find a tar seal road and pick up a bit where the tar has melted and oozed into a pile on the side. don't get stuff that is frequently run over - it must be jet black and clean.

to apply the tar - draw it on like a pencil, pencil line thickness all around the rim.

nothing wrong with tar if you only ride in dry conditions. brake pads keep indefinitely too

8. pav

pav New Member

DONT USE TAR IT IS POO!

YOUR BRAKES WILL LOCK AND NOT UNLOCK IT IS GAYBOY STYLES!

GRIND GRIND GRIND!

pav

9. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

If you don't overapply it this won't happen. It also heavily depends on the brake pad compound.

10. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

take the time and grind.....watch Tonkery's grinding video. Unless you have the dextarity of some caveman, you can't mess up.

11. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I have been using the same Plaz pads for over a year with a grind and they are showing very little wear. The pads only wear down quickly if you modulate your brakes with a grind.

12. Elan

Elan steve french

its simple, grind is better than tar. take the time to do it, and you will be worry free.

13. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

You will be only worry free if you get plazmatic coating. Grind like tar has to be reapplied.

14. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Another vote for grind, good pads, and taking your time to set brakes up properly.

15. Tanner

Tanner New Member

And what the funny thing is Pav, all I can remember about you is how you went on t-o.com and raved about tar + black magura pads and how you would never grind and never switch.

16. streetnutter

streetnutter Guest

I have been usign a fair while, and I have used it on v's and maggies. I have also tried a grind. I think that if tar is applied properly then it is the most powerful brake you will get. When I use tar I just put a thin line on where the centre of the pads hit and it will work nicely. As for springing back on maggies or v's they will both spring back aslong as you don't put it on with a trowel. As for a grind it worked ok but as it start to wear off it was worse than a clean rim and for a good deep grind you are going to be taking your brake walls away, But most of the time now I run a clean rim good booster and decent pads and you shouldn't need neither a grind nor tar.

Bill

17. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

meh.. i just used a d521 and koxx bloxx.. get a hacksaw and cut 3 X's across the face of the pad about 2 mm deep and ure set. The x's get the dirt n dust off ure rim .. work a treat in slightly damp conditions but if all else fails just put the smallest ever amount of tar on.. i only use it when im doin natural but soon as i get a koxx rim ill be grindin