Tar- where do u get it?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by SQuiT-man, Oct 7, 2004.

1. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

Hi!
    Where does every1 get their tar?
    Its one of those things you would have thought would be everywhere, and so it sounds silly, but where actually do you get it for use for trials? Will any do?
    Cheers
    Scott

2. freeridercam

freeridercam le Tall

go to a roofing company, ask if you can snag a chunk of tar.

3. digby

digby New Member

anywhere they are doing road construction and repaving the road. Also roofing companies.

dont use tar, just get good pads, grind and setup your brakes well.

4. SQuiT-man

SQuiT-man Guest

Ive never really thought to seriously about getting a grind... what is it like compared to tar? The main reason i like tar is because it works really well and doesn't damage the rim... If I was to grind my rim, would it be as powerful as tarring? Also, what is modulation like (i like to manual)- I know using tar definately reduces modulation IMO (makes my brakes either lock, or not be on at all).
    Cheers

5. digby

digby New Member

tar doesnt work well when its wet out or when its dusty(I think, cant remember on the dusty part its been a while). I think a grind works much better than tar when you combine it with good pads.

I dont think grinding really damages the rim, just roughens it up a bit. However if youre a kid, you may have a little trouble explaining why you took a power tool to your brand new wheel that mommy and daddy bought you. It may be hard to explain to them that everyone does it.

if you like to manual I would stay away from tar and grinds. either go disc, or learn to make your brake finger more sensitive so you can still modulate with powerful ass brakes.

6. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I would go to a roofing supply shop and ask them for Kettle Tar. As for the difference between tar and grind, digby basically covered it. I would say that tar does work well though in dry conditions, and in my experience, every bit as good as a grind with good pads. Let us know if you have any luck finding tar.

7. pav

pav New Member

Get a grind is what I say,

But as you asked, if you do not go to a roofing company then you can go to your local hardware shop and ask for flashtac. Comes in about 7m rolls for like $8 AUD, lasts a fair while too!
    Dont ask for 'roofing tar' people will just look at you wierd, as Bill said ask for Kettle Tar or something.

8. Peace

Peace pedocrab

tar is shit! it makes you a really really rough rider! i know i have said this in every tar post but oh well, a grind is 10 times better and can have modulation depending on what pads you use. Tar is yuck, messy and hard to get off ya rims, grinding doesnt weaken your rim until you do it a dozen times...
    Also if you put a lot of tar on, it can make your pads stick to the rim and fuck up some of your moves and putting you balls and face in quite a lot of danger!
    Grind, you wont regret it.
    Peace

9. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

i grind+tar+koxxbloxx... to compensate for the tryall rim. i must get ahold of some coust pads.

when i got my tar, they were roofing my highschool gym, and i went up to one of the guys and said "hey, do you think you could help get me a piece or tar, just a little one.." he brought me back a little piece... 'bout the size of a boot. it was cool.

10. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

err, i use tar and i'm one of the smoothest people i know :hs:

11. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

random note:

if you like to manual, and have powerful-ass brakes, your rim's gotta be dead true

12. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

Tar is great, because even if you have crummy brakes, they can work 100% But I recently went from tar to a grind, and my brakes sucked for a while because of my lx parralall push levers. But now I have some new avids and new sd5 levers + decent pads and a fresh grind and I can tell you I will never go back to tar. A grind gives you such better timing for kicking and junk.
    But like I said, tar is still great because it can make crappy brakes seem wicked. I just like a grind much better :bigthumb:

13. G-Jordan

G-Jordan Guest

tar is crap, you don't need skills to ride with tar, you can basically stick any up no matter where your wheel lands on the wall, it also gives you no modulation and makes your brake feel slow. I used to use it but i put a harsh grind on my rim and now my break feels and rides so much better. I have worn halfway througha pair of koolstops in a day though. Koxx Bloxx ordered; it's all good.

14. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Wow, I think you might be talking about some kind of Magic tar. Stick ANY up?? just joking, I thought your post was a little funny

15. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

i use tar. if i dont get all the way up an object, my brakes slip.

16. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

wouldn't that be a good thing? :ugh2:

i use tar and my brakes will slip if i don't get the height. if you have a good grind, that shouldn't happen. if you use way too much tar they probably won't slip, but then they will feel slow, gay and horrible like you said.

17. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

I think it looks quite nice. And some steel wool gets it off in a breeze..

18. AndyT

AndyT New Member

From some douche bags pocket

19. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

That hurts andrew :wtc:

20. trauma100

trauma100 Modest

go to any hardware store and get a tube of blackjack..it comes in a caulking tube...it will come out like watery piss at first but squirt some out and let it harden...it's cheep too... $2.75 a tube... but personally.. go for a grind... if not waterbuffalo dung smeared on the rim and let it set for 3 moons till the planets are aligned will help you with gaps, touches, and Intestinal worms:barf: !