surly style

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Elan, May 1, 2004.

1. Elan

Elan steve french

whats the general consensus on surly sinlgeators? i put one on my bike today.

and for everybody's information, i put distilled water in my magura and :eek:

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

older singluators were way better. the new ones work alright. no tensioner can touch the rohloff though. water is the shizzle.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

i have the 'old' one i think...it doesnt have taht gay pinwheel lookin mofo on it, just like a little guide majigger. water > all, until my lines freeze...window washer fluid?

4. WhiteRavenKS

dont use window washer fluid. you can mix antifreeze and water. you can also use 2.5 wt fork oil.

5. nidoss

nidoss Guest

so does mineral water work better than the magura blood stuff? in the manual and all magura keeps saying put nothing in your lines except thier blood?

6. Elan

Elan steve french

well, they want you to buy THEIR "blood", it is mineral oil, same as every other mineral oil. mineral water sounds liek a bad idea. distilled water has 0 impurities (distilled...darf) , so nothing to clog your shit, although i guess it dries out seals over time?

i dont know all about hte pros and cons, but i rode for like 30 minutes and my brakes feels better than it did by like 2435243423X, and it reminds me of a v-brake, because now i can feel it hit the rim, and i can feel all that shit and stuff...try it, you wont go back.

7. Ryden

Ryden Guest

Hmm. I guess water would save money, but I thought all liquids resist compression at about the same rate...So what makes water better?

8. Tanner

Tanner New Member

thinner viscosity

9. DMArnt

DMArnt Guest

Water in ur Mags is a joke right?

When u say other mineral oils, got any examples?

:werd:

10. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Water in your mags is not a joke, its been around for as long as I can remember, so it is well tested. Some people do get leaks though, which is why I just stick with magura blood.

What most people like about water is that the pull of the lever is super smooth, super easy, and the lever snaps back very quickly.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

its faster...oil is thick, it responds slower. water is thin, it makes the brake feel like it actually has the spring (that it does) in the lever....it isnt near as spongy, i guess you could say it feels like you put another booster on.

12. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

I broke two of the old Surly springs in my tensioner, one in the middle of a section at a comp...Ill never use it again for trials. Hope yours lasts longer.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

yea, i was worried about that, mien isnt tensioned too much... its actually a little lighter than i would like, but its doing great so far...

14. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

yeah, I loved it while it worked, so easy to set and go, but I guess it just cant handle the knocks? I dont know, the spring is just weak.

15. WhiteRavenKS

maggie oil leaks more than water... at least in my experience. i ran water for months with no problems. i have made a brand new maggie ejaculate oil everywhere literally in 5 minutes. used distilled water. mineral water is like... you might as well kick yourself in the nuts or have someone else do it for you so the impact is stronger.

see what i mean- someone brings back ancient euro secrets and shares it then people say no way- it's just a prank. nevermind, im just bitter.

16. Elan

Elan steve french

ahahah...yes, people just like to disagree withg me because i am white

17. DMArnt

DMArnt Guest

Hmm .. interesting. Ok, what are the pro's and con's of it.

Can u go back to oil if u don't liek water? Will the water harden the seals in ur chambers and shag ur Mags?

:werd:

18. WhiteRavenKS

you can use water all you want. if you hate it or whatever you can always flush out the system and go back to maggie fluid.

pros- better feel, faster lever action, cheaper fluid

cons- sometimes you have to put a dab of maggie oil on the piston/lever plunger to swell the seals back up, another con of using water is always telling people "no- im not shitting you, it really is water in there"

19. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Hey Kevin.. how well does the system have to be flushed for water use.. totally clear? Or is some leftover blood residue acceptable? How often do you have to re-bleed to compensate for heat and such.. ?

Thanks for this info from someone who appreciates knowledge and likes to see it spread. :werd:

20. Elan

Elan steve french

i bled my system out with like 6 syringes (180ml) of water, i just ran it straight through, then i sprayed a little with the air hose. im sure there is still a few drops of oil in htere... doesnt seem to bother it. you just dont want any large amounts in there i guess