Super pro bashring?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bwagner, Aug 22, 2004.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Ok,
    Does anybody here have the Tiny Super pro bashring from Middleburn? Is it worth the extra cash, or should I just stick to my current stock middleburn bash? I'm interested for the added clearance it'll provide, but also because I want to run a smaller chainring up front. I'm currently running the 22/19 ratio on my new RAVen, but I'm thinking something between a 22/19, and a 22/18 would be perfect. Can't I get this effectively by running like a 16/14 or something like that? Any help you provide me with will be greatly appreciated. I know that I might be able to find this ratio info by doing a search, but I also wanted the info regarding the bashring/chainring machined combo thing.

2. XTP

XTP Guest

yoi man wat i can advice is that the super pro.is not tat practical as firstly, the gearing for your ride will be too 'light' as it is only avaliable in 16teeth.secondly,
    u got to shift ur rear gearing to to 'heavier' gear in order to compensate it.if u dun,your chain will be out of alightment.the best i would recommened is to take either try all crank or echo crank arm which is in 18teeth.anything u can msn me at [email protected]

3. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Come on, NO ONE runs this thing? All of the riders on this site, and not a single person runs the integrated bashring/chainring combo? I guess I'll have to be the first with a review after mine comes in. I'm still open to comments on this, in fact I'm hoping to hear a few

4. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

A guy here, poutine, uses it, but he had to get it because his normal Pro Trials bash wouldn't fit the wide ass yoke on his XTP. From the many many msn talks I've had with him, he's as happy as can be with it. It is real small, and real light. Kevin here also has been using one for a while.

Also most of the people that do run them are in the UK, and it's the middle of the night over there right now. They'll be posting here soon letting you know what they think of them, and they've been using them for a longer time.

You could get a 15 and 14 tooth cogs, and see which one you prefer to be the trials gear. Keep in mind you're gonna have to use a big chain, like the KMC Kool or some other BMX chain with the 16 t front ring setup, there's a ton more stress and force being put on the chain from such a small front ring. If you're running a 9 or even 8 speed spacing cassette, you might have some clearance issues between the chain and the cogs. The Koxx cassettes are 6 cogs with 7 speed spacing, so that the chain has enough room not to rub the cogs.

The Ti guard is a lot of money too, so if you're not completely sure on it, but still want to run something with more clearance, get a 20t ring and lathe down the diameter of your Pro Trials guard to just enough to cover the chain on a 20t ring like Adam, thetart20 on here, did a short while ago. Here's the thread with all the info if you're interested:

https://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=7436

5. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

Peace, from Australia, runs one. If peace runs one, then Dave probably runs one too, but Dave doesn't post here. You can get KingKogs in those smaller sizes I believe - they are essentially BMX cogs after all.

- Joel

6. Orkje

Orkje New Member

Divisions...

22:18 = 1.2222
    22:19 = 1.157

16:14 = 1.142
    16:15 = 1.066

Both gears are easier than 22:19, which is not good if you wanted something between 22:18 and 22:19.

That being said, I think 20:18 (1.1111) is the best gear out there... Works even better than 22:19 for me, especially for natural riding.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  7. Peace

Peace pedocrab

yes i ran one, they work great and if you run a 16 - 13 ratio its about the same as 22-18, maybe a lil harder...

another good side to them is that you will shave off half a pound from your bike with one of these, becuae you run smaller cogs and shorter chain.... and the guard is like 130g
    You can get em in stainless steel too which i would reccomend, seeing as the weight diff is very minimal.
    Im not running one at the moment because im selling it to joe brewer, just so it gets some real riding into it to see how it fares.
    Im prolly gonna run one again once i get everything sorted out (chain, king cog etc etc.) I think they are worth it, specially the stainless one.
    Peace

8. sebLG

sebLG New Member

yes, i run the middleburn super-pro bashring. i bought it seperately. i wansted $200, and it was not really worth even like 1/100th of the price. im such a cosmet ... icist. hmm, i bet if i wasnt supid and bought one from peace i would have saved a bunsch of cash and a bunch on postage and ... i dont know. but yeah, buy one if you really really want to. i like it beter than th regular trials guard, but the money is a bit much.

did that make sense?

also in terms of gearing, i think 16-14 is about the same as 20-18, which is apparently a good gear. i run 16-15 because webcyclery didnt have any 14 tooth king kogs at the time, which is almost exactly the same as 16-14 ... tis a nice gear me thinks.

mmm i didnt know you could get them in stainless steel. that would have saved me evern more. mines ti. oh well.

bye.

9. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

I run the super pro bash

I think they are pretty sweet, the ground clearence is amasing! The weight saving is a bonus too.

I find it harder to go from bash to rear wheel (but if you get this bash you wont want to be on it will you) and you need a beefy chain, I run a kmc kool narrow and havnt had a single problem with it.

I am running 16-14, I used to run 22-19 and 20-17, these are very simlular the the feel of my super pro bash.

10. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

Hey Bruce, You might want to think about the added pressure your drive train is going to see...I've been running that 17t bash/ring that I designed and it's definitely tweaking...as is the 15t King cog I've been running. You've got me by a few pounds and you're undoubtedly stronger as well. You might be setting yourself up for a lot of down time. Once my drivetrain bits finally give it up, I'm definitely going back to a 20:18.

Sean

11. poutine

poutine Guest

Yes roman pointed out.I had no choice of going with the super pro.Witch i am not regreting one bit!

Ya they are expensive.But in a case like mine totally worht it.Instead of change hub,cranks and going ffw :slap:

Plus me been a fan for hating ffw for a passion.and i allready had my king.So for a small fee to get my bike rolling i said to myself im going for it totally.

I was telling roman i did grind down my old one just for oen day to go ride.If you want to do something nuts.Find a 20 t ring.Grind the spaces super down to make it deeper.Then grind down the teeth.Then grind down the rock ring allot.And go ride only for one day.After a day serious injurys can ocur.

But yes as roman said i am one happy camper with my super pro.

12. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Sean,
    My only concern is the extra torque the chain will see. I weigh in at around 189 right now, so I am a little heavier than most. I might try a 20/18 soon, if I can get my hands on a 20t ring for the front. Thanks for the replies guys, and also for your honest opinions.

13. sebLG

sebLG New Member

i have snapped two chains so far. its probably because i screw up and hit my bash too much though.

14. poutine

poutine Guest

Ya wen i slip from taps im extra carefull for that.

Havn't broken a chain yet.I do run a kool chain.

16-14 ratio.