strength of fixed hubs (and good web deals)

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by mikesnow, Dec 10, 2004.

1. mikesnow

mikesnow canada

hey,
    thanks all for responding to my bmx hub thread, i was wondering, pan man especially, you mentioned fixed rear hubs that were cheaper than the surly and equally as strong....can you guys elaborate on this at all? am i understanding correctly that hubs like the formula fixed (not sure which model) can be equally trustworthy at a much cheaper price? it's to put an acs or wi fw on thanks again...

and.. what's the cheapest place to order trials stuff off the web from, i'm in ontario, so would perfer not to have to pay duty, ie stuff in canada already thanks

2. pan man

pan man New Member

Hey man im in ontario also! The formula isnt fixed - its just a spin on hub (single speed) to run with a freewheel. For this you just screw the frewheel onto it, and run a 'normal' crank with it.

If you want to run a fixed hub, you will be running front freewheel, and for this you need a front free wheel specific crank. For this option you just slap a normal track cog onto the rear, and screw the freewheel onto the crank. FFW cranks could also be used as 'normal' cranks - just screw on a track cog onto the front and you can use it with a regular hub in the rear. You can make a fixed hub by just welding a cheap hub such as the deore together. In a FFW setup, your chain always moves when your bike is rolling.

The formula hub is just an example - really you could just pick up any spin on hub from you local bike shop for under twenty bucks - which you will probably never break. And when you feel like running a fixed hub, just weld it together.

Surly makes two hubs I believe - one flip flop where you can run a track cog on each side of the hub, and just flip the wheel over when you feel like changing gears - and one fixed / freewheel hub - where one side is for the freewheel and one side is just for a track cog (then you would run a freewheel in the front). At least thats what I've understood from what I've read.

Anyways, basically you can run gears or SS with the FFW setup (fixed), or just run a regular crank with a spin on type hub and freewheel hub in the back. Hope this helped and we should ride sometime - where abouts do you live?

3. mikesnow

mikesnow canada

that clears up alot

yeah thanks man, that's the kinda shite i've been wondering about for the last few weeks but couldn't really get the actual details of the differences, but that all makes sense.....i'm in london, going to school here. originally from newfoundland. just getting into trials, right now i'm realizing my zebdi is pretty much set up street but that's not bad cause for the next few weeks i wanna fine tune some manuals. manuals were sooo sketchy on my xc bike but within 2 days of getting the zebdi, short stays, it was like the thing just wants to stay up on the back wheel. anyways where bouts are you how long you been riding trials?

that's what i'll do i think, run a spin on hub, with the acs claw, and dx32, 14g dt, brass, straight or double butted not sure, heard differing opinions of both, wonder how big of a tire i could get on that rim on a zebdi....

4. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut you gonna get raped

With that setup, almost any spin on rear hub will work as panman described. What you are paying for in the more expencive hubs like this, are to a degree strength, weight and bearings, but more along the lines of brand name recognition. If you are looking for a decent cheap rear hub, look to the cheap hub, and spend more on the freewheel.

The main adantages to running a setup like this are that its basicly hassle free, and if you are running a non-disk rear wheel, it's dishless, making it stronger. The disadvantages are mostly you have to run ss, but as stated this can be easily fixed with ffw, and concequently, are competition illigal in non NATS comps.