Streety "trials" frame with a 80mm

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Nov 28, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

After searching for ages for the bike, I've narrowed it down to a couple frames. What frame gives like a trials oriented feel to it, i.e. feels comfy on the rear, but at the same time, manuals easily? Flickable like a trials frame, eg. able for my noodley ass to throw it around. And a low standover.

I'll be riding it essentially you would a street trials bike...a pedal kick here and there, manuals, a stairset here and there, spins, pivots and the occasional drop to flat.

Planet X Pitbull - Supposedly has trials oriented geo's with a 80mm fork well. Fairly cheap...well, on the PX website it's 199 pounds....Danny from the TK rides it and rides a really trials oriented style....

Giant STP - Lenosky has a more of a trialsy style of riding than Chase does, and I hear it feels less like a dirt jumping bike compared to a Chase.

Draco Industries - Forgot the stays and tt length, but I remember him telling me it was a 71-73 ha with a 80mm fork depnding on your sag. Like a 23-25in stand over....sick.

What bike has these qualities with an 80mm fork and rear disk tabs? I'm reluctant to getting an Evil DOC, DMR, or the likes in that it'll feel pretty shitty to do a pedal kick with and is really a DJ bike that can be ridden on the street. Basically, more or less a trials frame designed around a 80mm fork. Flickable, agile and manuals easily....definitly has to manual easily....the choices above shitty choices?

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the px pitbull weighs about 7 pounds. do you really want to do anything trialsy on a 7 pound frame? i only eversaw danny ride the pitbull in a couple of clips. if you want a pitbull i would suggest a zebdi... just my two cents on that.

the giant stp is more of a streety bike than it is trialsy. i ridden several and they are all much better dj/street bikes than they are trials bikes. the chase frame has a lower bb, other than that i dont see the stp riding all that much better at trials than the chase.

know nothing about the draco.

to tell you the truth i would recomend the norco moment over anything you just listed. its going to be a trials bike that can ride streetish style. considering its designed completely aroudn what it sounds like you want to be doing and are looking for i wouldnt look at much else out there.

3. BrettB

BrettB noob framebuilder

you should give the PX ghost a look
    i like mine lots(not sure bout the 80mm fork though)
    practically manuals on its own :)

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah, I was looking at the ghost, but then with a 80mm fork, I hear it's a piece of shit....

Norco moment I was considering, but i can't find one anywhere and it doesn't have a disc tab. Pretty much like Leeches style is how I'll be riding....but more on the streety side, with a little less emphasis on the trials portion, i.e no skinnies, and less trialsy lines....

5. Echorider316

Echorider316 New Member

For 400 (i think) you could get an Aztech steel frame. You can get whatever geometry you want i think. PM me and I will tell you how to get in touch with Aztech, they don't have a website. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

Why do you need 80mm of travel? just run a rigid fork....Jackflash might not be a bad idea, I have one...complete with a crack!

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

^^ It's mainly mental really. My confidance level jumps up dramatically doing a stairset or any kinda of drop off a ledge with speed unless I'm on my Megamo (pedal kicking off). I would like to go rigid in a sense I could sell this otherwise new fox, and have extra cash and drop it on a Peyto or something of the sort, or just have extra money....

Where the hell can I buy a moment? Speedgoat cycles is the only place I found and wants $700 for it....:ugh2:

Jackflash eh? Fairly nimble or is just nimble for you cause you're a huge monster?

8. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

most of the time you can find norco's and norco dealers. call around. the moment is not a cheap frame. they retail around 6-700.

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

don't you have a dedicated street bike and a dedicated trials bike :ugh:

why get a new bike that feels worse than they both do...imo manuals are easy on any bike- just make sure you run very high pressure and have modulating brakes...

10. Mr_Penut

Mr_Penut you gonna get raped

Get the norco 416 when it comes out, should be right up you ally.

11. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i love my pitbull, rigid, 32lbs, fun as all hell, dont recommend using the disc tabs tho for trials, theyre shady

12. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

the jackflash is pretty nimble imo, there was a time ya know when 16" stays were pretty accepted for trials....

13. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Maybe I just ride street a little more trialsy than most. I'm not a big fan of anything really more than a barspin, manuals, riding fakie, or 180's.....i.e. I don't really like grinds too much, but rear wheel stalls and nose picks are nice...anything more than that is kinda beyond what I really wanna do.

That dedicated street bike is what I'm going to be using "streety trials" on....and saying streety trials in that is kinda even a little far fetched, more like trials inspired. And like Dan said earlier...this hucker feels like a slug. it feels a little better with the 80mm fork on it, feels a little more nimble with the steeper headangle (it's a 69.5 with a 130mm fork on it, so what's that make it now, a 72???), but still a slug.......manuals and bunnyhops nice though, but that's about it.

Sadly enough, the only Norco dealer around is like 5 hours away in Georgia at a place called unicycles.com....erm......

14. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

pitbull.....thats my riding style, but i do alot of pedal kicking and gaps too, pit bull is perf

15. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

I am telling you, the jackflash will be fine. I ran mine with a 22 chainring and a Duke SL for a while (80mm fork, 80mm stem and a narrowish riser) it felt pretty good....all things considered (like real trials bikes.)

16. dahouse

dahouse Guest

I think the ghost is the best for you. I've ran everything from rigid to a 3 inch fork on it and it rocks with every setup. The angles are steep and the lenghts are pretty short, but it manuals really well.

I use it mostly for street but because I spent the last year on a mod, I ride trials on it really really really really well.

17. Elan

Elan steve french

dude, koxxst

18. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

unfortunatly, my pitbull will prolly never look like a trials bike....because i run a real seat, and its up a few inches (for now, the high seat SUCKS for gapping)

19. B1105

B1105 New Member

those koxx frames are nice looking. dunno how they ride though