stole me some pallets = slap video

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by alexm, Apr 18, 2004.

1. alexm

alexm Member

im kinda dissapointed with this video, had to use fisheye to get it all in frame so it looks a little homo but the last tap is 52" or 4ft 4inches if you care.

right click and save http://canberratrials.com/vidslong/taps.mpg

Alex

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

serious fooking power.

3. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

That was super impressive alex. I don't think I've seen anyone tap that high in person. You skills seem to be exploding!

Bill

4. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

thanks, downloading now.

where should i be tapping the wheel on the object if the object is about 34" high?

edit:
    woah. very nice.

5. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Niiiiice!

Quick question, I have my left foot forward like you but how are you turning right? I still can't figure this out, I can turn right without a problem but I don't get it?

6. B1105

B1105 New Member

That is some sick riding, to get up that high, are you using speed or is it the total throwing of the bike? My highest is 2 ft and its seems impossible to get higher.

7. alexm

alexm Member

i would be tapping it about 2cm below the edge, basically right on the corner. just tap it enough to have some sort of effect on your direction. it should float you up nicely with plenty of clearance if all goes right. pretty much tap it only 5cm below the edge tops up until about 1 meter high. after that height i start slapping it a way below the edge, im sure there are better techniques than mine, we need the coustelliers/vincent hermance and all those guys to come on the forum and teach us.

im guessing you are referring to me turning after ive tapped to get off the pallet? if so i just tried turning then and i kind of jump up a little to clear my rear tyre of the ground, then i twist the bars (pulling my right hand towards me) and kind of twist my hips a little i guess to rotate the bottom of the bike around. I could always turn better/faster to my right although i find im more controlled and accurate going to my left nowadays.

you will go in stages with all of your moves i think. i mean i seriously thought (and i know this is higher than 2 ft) handlebar height would be where i would max out. i didnt really care all that much, handlebar height is a great height to get, lots of things are about that height. to make it mroe relevant to you i also thought that 3 pallets was huge, that is less that 2ft i believe. when i first learnt ups i pushed myself so hard to get that height, i remember occasionally getting my rear wheel up and then having no control and falling what seemed quite high off to the side of the pallets.

to answer your question, since i tap my front wheel on the edge of the pallets to aide me in getting up i tend you find the faster i go and the harder i slap my front wheel the higher i can go. when i do a normal pedal up with no front touch i will go at a medium pace so that i can get plenty of power from quickly rotating my cranks around and then jumping up. ask me any more questions about it, i dont think i answered that question too greatly. im sure you will overcome the 2ft barrier shortly though

Alex

8. kamil

kamil Guest

awesome riding alex. that motivates me.. can't wait for finals to be over.

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

wow, you looked like you made that wayyy easy! sick

10. sebLG

sebLG New Member

holy shit! that was cool. hmm, so is the mod officially collecting dust now?

11. mickey_b12

mickey_b12 Guest

that was sweet alex. i recon u could go higher. how big was the run up?

12. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

The most amazing thing about that was that you mad it look sooooooo easy.

Seriously it looked so easy I almost thought I could do it.............
    almost!! :D

Wow your good.

13. Paul

Paul Guest

THANK YOU for making this vid, that was really huge tapping.And I still do think handlebar height is high to backwheel :rotfl: Nice vid all in one,as I told you in some other thread,your stock vids are very inspiring for me,bring out some more
    :bigthumb:

14. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea thanks for the response. Maybe its jsut practice, just out of curiosity, and sorry to hijack your thread, but does bicep/arm muscle help in increasing the up height? It seems it would since your throwing the bike with your arms.

15. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

That was hot, no doubt about it. I've just recently been trying to figure out that whole tap up thing. I don't know if you can explain it, but when I try to tap I don't feel as much up as I see you getting. It's become pretty obvious that yes speed is definitely important but when I go for much higher than I can do without a tap, it just seems like it makes it easy to go to bash and not necessarily getting that rear rubber up there.

I guess my real question is whether there's any other technique that's different than a non-tap pedal up that I should think about?

16. AndyT

AndyT New Member

There are a few more muscles in your arm besides your bicep :rofl:

Look at pro trials riders...their biceps aren't even as big as their forearm. However their backs are more developed than ahhhnold. Trials is all about the back, legs, core and forearms.

17. oicdn

oicdn Guest

HOLY SHIT!!!!!

18. alexm

alexm Member

im renound for being a shit explainer of things. trials has made me toned there is no doubt about it, i always had bulk where muscle should be but i would flex and you could push the muscle down haha. now the muscle is firm.

i would say concentrate on technique a whole lot more than muscle building. ive never tried to build my muscles for trials in any other way than just riding. Anyway i would say with taps especially, its more technique than muscle, i may be wrong though.

when i tap, what i have recently changed, which has improved my height and consistancy a lot is as follows:

1. (as ive said many a time before) take your front braking finger off the lever and wrap it around the handlebar like the rest of the hand.

2. when you tap, no half (start bad foot then end good foot) rotations anymore. do AT LEAST good bad good. to learn to time this i would recommend learning on a sloped wall. it took me ages to get and i still dont use this rotation on rails, i do bad good :slap: but im too scared at the moment.

3. when i actually tap nowadays, i sort of push my front wheel into the edge (this may sound brutal but its not that bad) as this makes the tap earlier and then you jump straight away and you have much more clearance i find. (this is poorly explained sorry)

my runnup is too big for that tap really, im starting like 2 bikelengths out of camera. with big taps i just like to prepare myself beforehand but i will work or shorter runnups soon.

also my mod is collecting dust but it will come out again one day, i have no doubt. stock owns right now though.

Alex

19. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

:eek3: Um... you're like my new hero and stuff...

:eek: That's so freakin' high man! It'll take me years to be able to do that! Good job tho. Keep them videos coming! :bigthumb:

PS. I'm jealous.

20. alexm

alexm Member

dude, if i can do it you can do it! it wont take you years either. ive been riding 2 years exactly, just keep pushing it.

Alex