Stock Gear Ratios

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialsian, Apr 10, 2004.

1. trialsian

trialsian New Member

So I've finally got a trials specific bike with a 22T up front and a 12-25 road cassette in the back? What gear do most people select in the back when riding trials? I don't want to learn all the basic stuff in one gear and then find out that to make bigger gaps, I need to re-learn everything in a different gear. Thanks for your input.
  2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Got more product than Ron Popeil Staff Member

something between 17 and 21 is pretty common. Don't worry about re-learning stuff if you decide you need to change gears, it'll just take a day to get used to the new gear is all. There are trade-offs between different gears and what terrain you ride. if you're riding street, try an 18. If you're riding natural, try a 19 or 20 in the rear.

3. atypical

atypical New Member

yep, to a certain point you'll benefit from a lower gear(18t-17t) for big gaps, most other moves are done with 18-21t. An 18 tooth king cog will be your best friend for just about everything, except maybe a gapping contest. You might consider a couple of speedy gears for travelling and the rest for trials, 16t if you're strong and have decent knees, 18t, and a 20t for the end of a long natural session. Experiment with the cassette you've got, then look at trimming it down to the essentials. My cassette is something like 11?, 13?, 15?, 16, 17, 18. The 16 and 18 are King cogs, they don't have ramps to shift with, but the der will do it- you just need an 8 speed shifter and 6 gears!- hardly acurate, but you don't need to be spot on with the shifter- it'll be reasonably consistant. I guess you could put three king cogs together, but I havent got experience with that. Ramble :rolleyes:
  4. Elan

Elan steve french

i use 20-17.. which is 1.17, so for a 22T front that would be almsot equal to a 19 on rear. most people i know ride 20-18 or 22-21. just use whatever feels msot comfortable to you
  5. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea i switch between 20-17 and 20-19 since I dont have a 18 cog. Use whatever is easiest/most comfortable.