sticky tire tread life?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bmorekirby, Dec 6, 2004.

1. bmorekirby

bmorekirby I have bloody shins, yay?

is there a such thing as a sticky tire with good tread life? i have to travel to where i ride, and i need a tire that will get me there, and not wear out too fast either. does such a tire exist?

kirby :?

2. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

Michelin comp 24 is the best lasting of the "good" tires.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

my michelin comp 24 is over a year old and has as much tread as my 3 month old maxxis ST

4. pav

pav New Member

If you are super smooth you can get a Hot S on the rear, mine has lasted since march and has near new tread still.

5. Boo_Berry

Boo_Berry Guest

yes, the hot S is a good option, IF you're super smooth, and u dont have to ride to your destinations much, otherwise maxxis tires with the slow reazzy or whatever are in the same group as the Hot S, same with schwalbe -- smoothness and not having to ride are your allies

6. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

hot S is faster, has harder rubber and needs a higher PSI so wouldn't it be better to ride places with?

7. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

the sidewalls on my Hot S (front) have worn out quicker than the actual tread.. I can see under the black already. (7 months)

How often do you ride elan and what size is the tyre?

My first 2.2 lasted about 5 months, the second lasted about 3 months (this is riding a few times a week). I drive to pretty much all spots and don't really ride street all that much. Does the 2.5 last longer? I'm running a used one from a mate and its hard to tell whether it has a longer life, I've been off the bike for 6 weeks.. but just bought a new 2.5 anyway.

I also have a new Maxxis Minion slow reezay 2.35 so I'm curious to see how that goes. If I don't like it prob just go back to Michelin...

8. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I've recently replaced the 24.1 on my rear. Been riding that tire for almost a year (February). It still has some tread life on it I used to ride the shit outta that tire....meaning, commuting. Like 7 miles one way kinda commuting when I had a derailleur.

I'm on my 3rd front tire and this is the second rear that I've had. But I'm seconding the Hot S IF you're smooth. Cause I run it just slightly low PSI up front so it has some semblance of softness and christ are those sidewalls paper thin. The flexy tread doesn't help either, but it does stick fairly well, and so far, wear looks to be pretty good....

But comparing wear on the front wheel to wear on the rear is iffy if you look at it in the sense all your braking forces to slow down and front wheel moves all accelerate the degeneration of the tread on the front as it's under braking forces....braking to slow down = shorter tread life as compared to a wheel just rolling, then getting locked up on a ledge or rock.....

9. bmorekirby

bmorekirby I have bloody shins, yay?

what about the try-all tires? how are they?