Steerer tube reinforcements

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bwagner, Jul 7, 2004.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Ok, would anyone buy a steer tube reinforcement? Kind of like a headlock, but more with the intention of filling your steer tube, and adding a bit of stiffness to your fork, although adding a little weight. I can make them pretty easily, and I'm thinking about trying to sell a few on the web. I think those of you using Brisa forks should invest in this;) This is sort of a market test, to see if it'll be worth my time and efforts

2. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

I'll buy one if you make it from AeroGel.

When's the next ride?

3. 4hun

4hun Guest

It sounds like a great idea for freeriding more than trials. You will probably sell a bunch if you posted on the pinkbike.com forums. If I understand what it is you've got built. Could you post a picture, maybe of one installed

4. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i cant see how you could get one that would work verry well without heating up the old steertube to fit the new one in. It would have to be very well fitting to make any difference in strength.

5. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I'm thinkin along the same lines as hydroboy.. I've thought about this idea before but in order for it to make a difference I'd think it would have to be a press-fit deal but that would stress the fork pretty bad. You would have to have some pretty tight tolerances to fit it with the least stress possible and even then.. i'm not sure.

Do you have any experience with one yet? Long term?
    Anyone else with metal/engineering knowledge have some educated views as well?

6. bwagner

bwagner New Member

I'm not trying to sell steer tubes, just a tight fitting reinforcement for the inside of the tube, you know; like a headlock, but a tighter fit. I actually do have a little experience with one, on my Stinky. I have a Marzocchi Z1 freeride on there with an aluminum steerer, and it scared me a bit because of the flex, well, i made one of these for it, and now it's stiffer. Not to mention the added peace of mind from knowing that if the steer tube fails, I still have a nice peice of 6065 T6 in there to act as secondary support. I'll try to post a pic in a few days of one. I'll make it for my trials bike and take a few pics before I install it. Nothing too special, just a little extra insurance is all, for those who might not be as smooth as others(Like me, smooth as emory cloth)

7. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I like the idea and realize you weren't talkin about steer tubes too. I'd love to see some pics and would definitely consider picking one up from you.

8. Tanner

Tanner New Member

so you're basically taking a solid bar of 6065 and turning it down on a lathe to the ID of the steerer tube?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  9. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Yep, thats it, not too involved, but just a bit of security.

oh, and it's pretty nice looking, and uses stainless countersunk 5mm, socket head cap screws

10. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yes, thats what hes saying, itll fit in, and be bolted from the top,even a loose fittin piece (say .02" smaller on each side), will make your fork stronger. because the steerer will flex that .02" then the stop because of the lock. do i want one....no, i already have a kniffen heavy, im about ready to drill holes in the steerer :p