Squeeling Disk brake.. How do I get rid of it..

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by TrevorBodogh, Dec 1, 2004.

1. TrevorBodogh

TrevorBodogh Banned

The front disk brake makes a horrible noise.. Mass hi pitched.. It looks like there is a scrape in the rotor, possibly causing this..?

Anyone have any similar problems / solutions??

Thanks..

2. Matt Staples

Matt Staples Guest

The best thing to do as far as I remember, is to clean the disc and pads, scubbing them down maybe using washing-up liquid or something like that and make sure the disc running smooth in the caliper, like not rubbing.

3. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

go to walmart and buy some disc brake cleaner for cars. then spray it all over your rotor and ride around in cirlces with your brake on. wipe off excess fluid and grime.

your brake will continue to squeal like fuck. but then find a giant hill and ride the front brake and then it will burn off the residue from the cleaner and your brakes will work and be clean.

4. TrevorBodogh

TrevorBodogh Banned

Thanks guys..

I will do that when I fix all the parts that broke in the last two days making it completely unridable.

5. sharpe

sharpe Guest

which disk brake have you got? if it's a hope, especially a mini, they all seem to be insanely loud and i was never able to get rid of the noise from my hope mini except when it was really wet.

6. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Be careful with disc brake cleaner, its bad on seals, especially if its a magura disc.

7. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

Related word of wisdom:

there's some crap you can buy from automotive stores that claims to quiet disc brake squeal. DON'T BUY IT. It's basically some kind of light lubricant that burns off in car brakes, but we never get hot enough, so it destroys pads. I personally killed a set of pads for hope M4's trying this method.

As far as eliminating the squeal in my 8" avid, I put on headphones and enjoy how unbelievably well the brake works.

8. digby

digby New Member

I put mud on mine. Anything with some grit on it. Once or twice is fine, do it too much though and it will kill your pads. just rub a light coating on your disc and then do nose wheelies down your street.

9. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

It's a hayes mech.

Disc pads vibrate against the walls of the caliper, so they make noise. They need something to dampen the vibrations, or fit better in the caliper with as little play as possible, or just luck. Some people have discs with pads that rock back and forth a fair bit, but the brakes are still quiet.

I've read that some riders smeared grease on the back of the disc pads, and this dampened the vibrations. Never tried it though. I would think the grease would find its way onto the rotor and/or pads, but it seems to work for the people that do it.

Try what everyone else suggested, and if it's still acting up, give the grease thing a go I guess.

10. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

yea this stuff from wal mart is actual brake cleaner. i've had pads contaminated with oil and it manages to bring them back to perfect condition. its amazing.

Although I haven't tried this and it seems sketch I've heard some people glue the pads inside the caliper...

11. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I dont know, like the one guy said. I just throw on some tunes and let everyone else complain about the dying duck noise.

12. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

does anyone remeber reading about the orginal rock shox disc brake that was made? apparently it was so powerful, they had to squirt wd-40 of the rotor to keep it from locking like mad, i wish i could find one, even if it was a million dollars........

13. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

I think the Rock Shox disc's were the same as AMP disc's (Rock Shox bought the rights from Horst, I believe.) With the 3 bolt mount.

I do seem to remember Shimano coming out with some sort of 2 disc's and 3 pads in one caliper sort of thing, that was supposed to be too powerful for any "real" application (i.e. Pro DH racing.)

14. daveanscombe

daveanscombe Guest

well my friend had that problem ........wanna know what he did.....
    he got rid of it and got a hs33

15. Trialsaddict

Trialsaddict I have no idea.

Most of you may already know, but for those that don't:

The squealing sounds from a disc brake are going to be caused by two main things:

1. Contamination. For most pads, depending on the compound, if they become contaminated, they will be useless from that point on. Your only choice is to replace them. Cleaing the rotor is also very important. Some companies suggest using dish soap mixed with water. Its a degreaser, and leaves little to no residue. I have found this to work really well.

- Or -

2. Vibrations between the pads and caliper. Almost all pads are either held by a magnet, or some sort of retaining clip. This is something you can't avoid.

Being a trials rider, you should be used to annoying, obnoxious sounds from a bike. If they work like they should, then don't mess with 'em. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Good luck.

TA

16. madbiker66

madbiker66 Jigga wot?

Copper grease (sometimes called copper slip) is used to dull down the vibration, and it has a high melting point so won't bugger your pads if it gets hot. This seemed to work for me when my Mini was squeeling like a beotch. You just apply it to the back of the pads in between the pistons and the pads.