Square taper or isis drive????

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by snack, Apr 22, 2004.

1. snack

snack Guest

just got the coos last night and have to order a new BB cause the coos needs a 122/68. at least a 122 spindle length. but i cant decide if i want to upgrade to new cranks and a square taper or just go with the isis drive that fits my hussefelt. any advive would be appriciated.
    :ugh2:

2. snack

snack Guest

Thats advice not advive.
    shit

3. atypical

atypical Guest

Excuse me? Upgrade to square taper?! NO! Upgrade to ISIS Middleburns, or now's your chance to go FFW and be so french you need...a bath? eh, lame joke.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

just keep teh isis doode, upgrade cranks later, like a bonz, or try-all or somthing similar... who are you? i live in colorado too... there are like 98358 of those here now...

5. JK

JK New Member

I have a really nice Race Face Signature DH 128mm BB and Bonz ISIS cranks. I believe that there is no better BB for you bike, although if price is an issue for you, the FSA platinum pro is about one third the cost. I think that's what most people use.

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Christ you got one too! If graham gets one that means we'll have group rides with 4 cooses, and a XTP :ugh:

what a bunch of gayboys...get the FSA, unless you are into things like your bearings dying.

7. JK

JK New Member

The bearing are known to die on the much cheaper RF Evolve BB's. The Signature model is competely different. The FSA pro BBs are just as bad as the cheaper Race Face models. You will not have problems with the Siganature DH, provided it is installed properly.

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

All I know is the most expensive XC models go down the tube in a month or so. Very common especially last year, the DH might be diff- didn't read that part . I have a 840 pound truvativ :ugh:

9. Elan

Elan steve french

yea, i have teh raceface Sig DH..like 1.2lbs .. how much si the try-all weigh?

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

do not get the try-all

i heard they got a new model, dunno....stick with something else those the old ones were a bit ghetto.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

ok FSA it is...i need a new headset too

12. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the try-all bb's are good. they have doubled up bearings on each side... they are not bad at all. race face bb's are known for having bearing issues. the truvativ bb's are great but heavy. the fsa ones are great and most often a little cheaper than others.

if i had a choice between cheap square taper and more expensive isis, i would definately opt for isis goods. much more reliable in the long run.

13. AndyT

AndyT New Member

all I know is the try-all bb's that I have used in the past have plastic bb cups that make FAG bb's look like steel. But graham said something about a new model :dunno:

14. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

new ones are made by some euro company. they are pretty nice. the spindle looks like a race face one and they have 4 cartidge bearings (two on each end) that are a lot smoother and bigger than other brands i have seen. the cups are conventional metal ones.

15. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

HAHA is it the DH Gigapipe thingy, I have that one, its gotta weigh like 2 pounds or something, crazy heavy

16. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Yeah I know...but it is stiffer than standing on 5803 tons of marble, I haven't touched it ONCE (no loosey goosey)...in fact I forget its there all together, and I can't break a 140 gram TI fsa so I have no worries.

17. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

:werd: me too, its bomb proof though

18. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

i got the raceface signature dh 128mm. coming from a 113mm, i didnt really feel super akward having the feet farther apart. it did make me have better balance though. and the gold cups are super nifty.

but, i had to use two 2mm spacers on the driveside cup, because the cups werent centered over the spindle too well. so the spindle is 128, but the drive side cup has the same frame clearance as my other bb did, but the nondriveside one was farther out. the spacers fixed it real good though, so its fine now. and the gold is spiffy.

looking at them though, the crank stop isnt as tall as the one on my truvativ was. so the crank sits up against a ring maybe 1mm thick, compared to the 4 or 5mm ring on the truvativ. has anyone had problems with the bb crank stops digging into the arms? mine are fine so far, used the torque wrench and all. and i dont worry about my cranks, they cost nothing.

19. Elan

Elan steve french

i put mine on without a tourque because i was in a hurry, i have hte RF sig and raceface lps...everything looks good

20. Evant

Evant Guest

defy convention, ride ten pound steel cranks in 180mm, profile SS come to mind