spoke preferences

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by ot26pi, Oct 13, 2020.

1. ot26pi

ot26pi New Member

Any reason not to go with a 2.0 -1.6mm DB spoke if I'm starting new wheel 26" builds?

Wondering if anyone has experiences going smaller than 2.0 -1.8mm - are there any drawbacks?

As of now, here are the hubs and rims I'll use:

Front:
    Trialtech Sport Lite Front Disc Hub 32H
    Jitsie 32H Front 26

Rear:
    Jitsie Race 135mm Disc Hub
    Jitsie Rear 26

I'm 155lb and will be running rear rim brake most of the time.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  2. FFBtrial

FFBtrial Member

You should be fine with ultra light double butted spokes.

Most of the time, I go through the rim because of dents or too many grinds before the spokes actually start showing snapping issues or other.

I do prefer stiffer spokes for disc brake, but I am 220 lbs!!

3. ot26pi

ot26pi New Member

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  4. tda

tda tda

0.8mm ti spokes are what jack carthy rides, prob should get some personally I have limited edition 1.55 libor karas spokes on driveside, they are made of Agile steel. Very agile.

5. ot26pi

ot26pi New Member

whoa! I hadn't heard or thought of using spokes that light, but now thinking about it- seems more reasonable for trials wheels- which don't need to be concerned as much with high speed cornering issues.

Any outlets you can share to purchase spokes of these types? I just searched quickly and only turned up with the below:

https://fairwheelbikes.com/pillar-x-tra-lite-titanium-j-bend-spokes/

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/uni...MIyY7v8b3u7AIV4R-tBh0s3g9YEAQYASABEgJlBPD_BwE

6. Swoofty

Swoofty Active Member

Universal Cycles has a fair selection of boutique spokes and the wheelsmith website.

7. tda

tda tda

Don’t worry they are G turned approved by great G turner legend dominik raab. Guaranteed, achieve all