Spoke calculations for DX32 with King Classic.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Feb 21, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Just curious if anybody knows what spoke lengths I'de need for 3x on a King Classic getting laced to a DX32 32 holes. I went to go get it laced, and since the LBS didn't have a spoke cutter, they need to know what the lengths would be for Drive side and non-drive side.

I know of a couple sites with spoke calculators, but I dunno what the measurements are for the King hub...thought maybe somebody had this set-up as it's a faily common combo and could tell me what size thier spokes are....

Anybody?

2. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Those are all ISO measurements....does the classic have the same hub flange sizes? Cause I know the Classic Road and Classic MTB have different flange sizes....130 and 135 respectively, so I didn't wanna jump to any conclusions.....

I was told that the DX32 has the same ERD as a Rhynolite....if that's the case, I went to DTSwiss.com and got the following:

Drive side: 256.6
    Non-Drive: 268.5

But if I had the "road" Classic
    Drive: 256.4
    Non Drive: 268.9

LOL, so I called up webcyclery, and asked them since this is a regularly built wheel....they said they get:

Drive: 265
    Non-Drive: 268

He said "I'm getting a 265 Drive and 268 non-drive with that DX32 3x laced to a King Classic" LOL, didn't sound too sure about it....

Are those 1/10 measurements really a necessity? Or can I just get by with the webcyclery shorter lengths? Probably eh?

3. Tanner

Tanner Well-Known Member

from BigD "i think that is 266 left side, and 264 right side.. almost positive"

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Damn all these different calculations........yeah, the reason the LBS wanted me to go get the calculations is they get thiers cut, then they go get them as the spoke place is in town. Thier spoke shop is closed today, so they said if I could get the spoke lengths, they cut me a deal :bigthumb: and build my wheel in a couple hours.

I switched LBS cause there is an ex-trials rider(races Pro BMX now). The LBS I did goto has a spoke cutter and just carries extra long spokes, but they want $1 a spoke, and $35 to build it. My new LBS only wants $25 labor and .70 a spoke. That, and the fact they would make me wait 2 days is ghey, especially when they're more $$.....damn roadies and weight weenies :rofl:

5. bigd

bigd Guest

i'll post official lengths tomorrow (sun). i'm going to try to bring hte program home so i have access to it here

6. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

Spot on.

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Kinda figured so.....just double checking as alot of people are saying "the ERD of a DX32 is the same as X" But I've gottern two different ERDs, so I'm kinda ignoring those, and Webcyclery builds it regularly, so I figured thiers is the most accurate....

8. bigd

bigd Guest

I've got CK RR Classic w/ DX32 32h 3x

L= 267 (266 or 268 should work fine)
    R= 264.3 (264 or 265 if you can find them)

odd lengths can be a bit of a bitch to get ahold of sometimes

9. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah, I got 268 and 265 spokes cut today...dropped off near closing time, so my rim should be ready tomorrow...finally gonna get to see what a King feels like :bigthumb:

10. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr Guest

i dono if i would trust that unless they build your wheel. i got them to send me spokes and rim for my ck hub and they sent the wrong size spokes. apparently they can build a wheel with shorter spokes than my bike shop can :ugh2: (the bikeshop is a damn good one too, no bullshit found over there)

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

The only reason I'm kinda trusting those numbers is on several calulators, I was only off by tenths of a MM...like 265.6 or 265.7 or 265.4.....I figure to round down as it SUCKS to run out of threads before the wheel is tensioned...I should be fine right? I figure webcyclery was also rounding down cause I got SEVERAL calculators to say 256.6 and 268.5......

Eh...I guess I'll find out today, LOL.