Specialized P1

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by ianrox, Sep 9, 2004.

1. ianrox

ianrox Guest

So I don't have a trials/dh/dirt jumping/other kind of freeride bike (I do have a SSXC machine that I'm kind of learning on, and two track bikes that I wouldn't dare hit a curb more than 4 inches high), but I'm seriously considering my options on purchasing one, specifically the Specialized P1. I noticed that Theo Takeda was riding what appears to be something similar in the CO trials video #12 (I think), and I was wondering if anyone had a say on the P1. I don't have the $$$ for a real trials bike just yet, and I know the P1 is aimed at more of an urban/dirt jumping market, but you know... it's pretty hot, and the price ain't bad, either.

Also, at my LBS, there's a 2003 Kona Stuff that's been sitting there waiting to be bought. By me. Eh?

2. Ross

Ross New Member

If you are seriously considering taking up trials I would hold off on the P1 until you can afford a "real" trials bike and just learn basic moves on whatever bike you have now. Just my $0.02.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

theo rides an azonic evo II i belive.

you can get a decent trials bike used. i wouldnt waste my money on a p1. the kona stuff mught be a good deal, but i have no idea what they are worth.

i suggest looking for a used trials specific bike. what is your budget?

4. ianrox

ianrox Guest

All in all, I wouldn't want to spend *much* more than $500 on something to start out on. I've heard of some people using teeny MTB frames and beefing them up, so that's another option I've considered. The '03 Kona Stuff is $679 (although it's the shop I always go to, so I could probably get it for less), and the Specialized P1 is like $600, so that's what I'm basing it all upon.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

i had a 14" kona xc frame for my first trials bike. small xc bikes work well for learning on if you set them up correctly. you might be able to find a used PX zebdi or old echo ES for around $500 too.

6. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

Are you interested in riding mod? You can get a Monty Mod for less then $500.00
    Those seem to be alot of peoples' first 'trials specific bike'.

7. Ross

Ross New Member

Does B1105 still have his MKIII zebdi for sale? I think he wants a bit more than $500 for it but it is a pretty sweet bike.

8. ianrox

ianrox Guest

Setting up correctly - long stem, wide bars, tough cranks and wheels, hella low seat?

9. RT Wolf

RT Wolf Insanity Studios Inc.

My friend riders the 2003 Kona Stuff. He bought it for like 1100(CAD) back when they were new, it's the end of two seasons since then. I'd say you could get a decent used trials bike for it's worth now, or build your own if you cheapen on some of the parts (like not getting a chris king just yet) and build it off say, the BT Raven(not a great first frame, but a solid frame), but I'd recommend saving up your money and seeing what you can pick up. Stick around the buy and sell forum for long enough adn you'll see great deals, prolly one or two you'll jump on.

10. Elan

Elan steve french

long stem = nothing longer than 120mm.

i took my seat off because with 14" frame it still gets in the way you will find.

wide bars help a little.

i used a set of truvativ firex cranks with shitty 22t bash ring. whole set up probably cost $80...i rode it for ever a year, put it on a new bike, then sold it with my other bike..jsut recenty crapped out i hear.

wheels...make sure you get a good hub, or at least plan for the future on making your first upgrade a $200 hub. dont spend extra money on XTR or XT quality stuff, the deore hub is just as good for trials as anything else. Hope XC is a step up from shimano, but chris king is what you will be wanting once you get decent at backwehel moves. rhynolite XL is the best rim you can get for a XC to trials conversion bike.

11. B1105

B1105 New Member

yea, I may consider selling the zebdi frame or bike(if someone wants to pay me enough). i wanted a koxx, but they dont have v brake mounts, so i continue my search, and yes i have considered the bt. pm if you are intersted

12. antidis

antidis Guest

my riding improved fucking 10 fold when i got my first trials bike after a frustrating year of trials on my xc bike. save for a specific i twill make learning so much easier.

13. Elan

Elan steve french

or suck it up and use a magura. :wtc:

14. B1105

B1105 New Member

no sucking up

woohoo, one more before 3k, you should win a price

15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Or get a pure.....vees all around...

16. Elan

Elan steve french

yea, if you wanted a koxx, a pure is the same thing, except it comes iwht posts..i forgot aboot that.

17. Cole

Cole New Member

Definitely don't get the p1 or stuff. Go for a used zebdi, echo, or zoo.

18. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

If he's just starting why not. My p3 is heavy but sure takes a lot of beating. For 200+lbs I am, the rear disc works like a charm. It's a solid frame is all I can say.

19. senorplinka

senorplinka Guest

The fork is absolute chit on the p1, I would recommend going for a trials specific bike because learning to pedal kick with the gear ratio on the p1 is basically impossible.

20. I know norcos evolve trials is suposed to be around 7-800 when you do the currnecy conversion