Spanish Fly vs CRV Pads

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, May 7, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

I was hoping to go with the Spanish Fly, but WebCyclery is out and Kevin told me the Spanish Fly were no longer going to be made. My only other option then is the CRVs. Has anyone used these and had good experiences?

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

My roomate used em and they were great. I don't think your brakes will be slipping if you give these a go. :)

Bill

3. KenC

KenC Member

I have used both pads, and prefer the crv's. If you ride in a lot of wet conditions, that would be the only advantage of the flys. You'll be happy with the CRV's.

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Alright cool, hopefully I wont run into an clearance problems now on a zebdi and dx32. thanks

byron

edit: hows the durability on the CRVs? Im thinking theyll last a while, but just checking.

5. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I run the spanish fly's, I find they need a solid grind. I heard some guy tried to commit suicide by ridding them in the rain. nuf said.

Dont modulate the CRV's at all! = much longer life

6. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

ive never warn through a set of crms. they last forever.

7. crashnscar

crashnscar Guest

Even if ya do, just grind some of the pad down. It'll have less life but atleast it will fit

8. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

how would the crv work with a medium grind? I know the fly's are supposedly better in the wet, but how about if my rim is ground? will the crv's still work in the wet then? thanks

9. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

spanish flys do work better in the wet.

and your brakes will still kill people even with a medeum grind and crv's.. :)

10. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

My experiences with the two pads seem to be a little different from other people's experiences. The Spanish flys have been wearing much quicker then my CRM's and the CRM's were better then the Spanish Flys in the water.

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I got the Spanish Fly's cause that's what was recommended for the HUMID Florida weather...should I just have gotten the normal CRVs? I don't ride in the wet, so i have no clue what I was thinkin when getting the Fly's other than humidity always being in the 80% range....

12. Shipley

Shipley ..........

OICDN stick with the Flys and grind your rim well. They'll work great here. I've run them with no troubles. When you need new pads.. get the Bloxx or Coust if they're out. I've definitely noticed a difference with the Bloxx. CRM's are nice in dry, no dust, no grind until they get dirty, as they do often (didn't like em with a grind when i tried) but not as great all around as the Flys. Did I mention a nice grind? Grind, set the pistons up right, no problems.

13. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

I just spoke with Todd from webcyclery, and his story's different than Kevin's - he tells me that they just haven't had any for a while - plaz is still making them as far as he knows, they just have been slow at getting them out.