Some one please help out this moron (me)

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by TTownJon, May 28, 2004.

1. TTownJon

TTownJon New Member

so its the night before my first comp, and i decide there isnt anything wrong with going out for a little ride to practice some moves.

Man was I wrong.

last thing i was gonna try was a drive side sidehop that ive been having trouble with on a 20" wall. I had been hitting it all day, but this time, no. Landed squarely on my derailler.

so now my hanger goes something like this:

|
    \_

it stays in gear just fine even under heavy load (pedal kicks), but doesnt shift.

THey arent gonna let me compete in stock class unless it shifts, right?

So the question is, does anyone going to the comp in Co Springs tomorrow have a hanger for an Echo ES4R that i could buy off of em (for what ever price you ask), or should i try to bend it back, or leave it and hope they let me compete?

thanks for any help - im in quite a jam.

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

Take off the hanger, put it in a vice or something secrue and take some channellocks and just straighten it. You should be good to go.

3. sebLG

sebLG New Member

yes, but whatever you do dont just bend it back while it is still on the bike!! thats how you snap them ... take ut off, and flatten it in a vice, dont just bend it.

4. TTownJon

TTownJon New Member

alrighty, will take it off and flatten if with a vice.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Just out of curiosity though, do you think they would not let me compete if i only had one working gear?

5. sebLG

sebLG New Member

it probably depends on how high profile this competition is, and also on how strictly the smaller rules like tat are enforced in your competitions. for example at UCI worlds, of course, you need to have the right number of working gears and so on, but say at a city comp the organisers might not mind.

6. felix

felix New Member

You can bend the hanger with a vice.
    I use my almost snapped hanger for almost one year.

At last years world's nobody checked your bike.
    I had my derailleur fixed to the chainstay with a cable tie, so it was impossible to shift.

7. sebLG

sebLG New Member

humm, ok then! i think im wrong then .... u competed at worlds? kewl ...

8. JK

JK New Member

I noticed Vinco did the same thing with a ziptie at Koxxdays. Don't know if it really mattered for that comp, but I'm guessing that's the way he sets up his bike. It's dangerous to not have your derailleur secured. They should change that rule for sure. I usually just hide when they are checking bikes since I don't have a shifter (or even a derailleur cable for that matter)