Smoothness !!

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Rob.K, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Well I have not been riding that long but I have learnt most of the main tricks like sidhops, pedal kicks, gap jumps , pedal ups, etc...

I don't go huge but I think what I do it reasonable for the amount of time I've been riding.

Now I seem to be extremly rough when it comes to gapping things and landing onto cement blocks or what have you.
    I keep wacking my rim hard, I broke one wheel and have dents on my new one.

Any tips as far as helping me get a little smoother. Maybe my technique is bad. Or all I need is to ride more and it will come???
    Just trying to speed up improvement so if you have any tips that would be great. It will save me money too.

2. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

I don't have any great tips on how to control your body to become more smooth. My best advice is to loosen up to help allow your legs, arms and back to absorb as much shock as possible and try to over-exaggerate your movements for a while.

I used to play a game with a friend of mine...we would seek out a line that would give us a small variety of moves and have a "competition" to see who could complete it while being the quietest. Whoever cleaned the line by making the least amount of noise won.

This obviously only works if you have parts on your bike that clearly indicate when you've been brutal. Your derailleur smacking into a stay on a stock bike is a great indicator. Your chain smacking the stay is another good indicator.

Good luck.

3. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

What about obsenly louds pads that make a noise even before you think about touching the brake?

4. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

That wouldn't count against you because your smoothness/brutality doesn't affect how the pads sound. Phil and I only counted things like chain slaps, der. thunks, wheel hits, pedal and bash hits and other impacts.

5. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Smoothness is one thing I need...I don't know how many tubes I flattened within a month it's not even funny. I flattened a tire less then 10 minutes of riding after trying to get up on this rock :| Pressure seems to be just right?

6. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Just keep practicing pushing your rear tire out in front of you as much as you can. You will gap farther, and the smoothness will come quickly. Just don't practice it over a deep gap, or you may die, it is kinda tricky to get used to at first.

Also make sure when you are jumping that you are jumping up as well as forward.

7. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Do things slowly. For example, for my gapping I can lower the front wheel real fast, raise quick, kick and land and make it, but a while ago, it wasnt all too smooth at all. Then I started slowly lowering the front wheel, focusing on where I wanted to go, quickly raising, kicking, landing, and on land, slowly lowering the front wheel back to the ground. Doing it slowly makes you realize where your body should be in order to do it all in a controlled manner. If not, you can do it as quick as you like and let your weight bring you back down no problem and live, but it didnt look smooth. After a while of doing it slowly and exhibiting more control, you can increase the pace of things, and as you do, you take the control, smoothness, and precision with you.

And like someone said above, dont try all of this on big things, low height, gaps, etc, because while youre learning to control, you certainly can lose control.

I wish someone had told me this early on, so if I were you, try it and stick to it. Helps your style a lot.

8. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Try just getting up to rear wheel and hopping up. Then focus on landing on your rear wheel as softly as possible, absorbing the landing with your body.Let a bunch of air out too ,it will make you paranoid that you are going to pinch flat.

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

hmmmm....i've gotten two flats in the past 6 or so months, so i guess you could call me decently smooth.
    lots of times when i do ups or something, i run such a low tyre pressure that the rim may tap the ledge, but not because i am unsmooth. it is important to know that sometimes hitting rim is inevitable with certain tyre pressures.
    as for gaps-huge gaps, especcially when you gap down, onto ledges, are fairly tricky. it's important to have right gapping technique. lots of people try and get extra distance by just getting more speed (if it's rolling) and kicking as hard as they can. this method works, but instead of this, you can also make habit of extending your rear wheel out farther, to give you a few more inches. watch kevin s. gap on the rail road station, it's a real good example.
    but for being smooth it sort of comes with some practice i guess. suck up as much as you can, never let the bike absorb it for you.

it's hard to teach somebody how to be smooth, pretty much you either have it or you don't.

10. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

put a stick of butter in you pocket to remind you of you goal.

11. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

just saw that swedish trials video. that guy on the bianchi is very smooth. look at his body movements, even on small drops/pedal kicks he absorbs them. imitate that
    on drops, get your front wheel below horizontal for maximum smoothness :bigthumb: and when you land make sure your front wheel drops and gets some of the impact too. too much head bob is a no no

12. JK

JK New Member

With gaps, the key to smoothness is pushing the bike forwards with your legs (or sideways, depending on how you do it), and absorbing the shock with your legs, back, arms. Don't let the tire absorb the shock. The same thing works with sidehops over something (static hops). After you flatten out at the peak of your sidehop, force the rear tire down with your legs (straighten them) and absorb with your lower body. For drops, get your weight over the rear tire and bend your legs so that your body position looks like this:

[​IMG]

Other than that just ride a lot, and get pointers from more experienced riders if you can.

13. Patrick

Patrick New Member

Yep.. Throw your legs way out there when gapping so that you can absorb all the impact. Make a point of trying to ride as 'light' as you can and watch Libor Karas

14. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

No wonder I'm getting pinch flats from hell...so much to learn. Yeah let me go take a picture of the flate tubes I have hanging in my garage :p Just bought some patch to fix it cause tubes aren't cheap after five of 'em. I'm such a noob. :ugh2:

15. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

dont force the tire to the object. let your tire reach the object upon which point you should bend your legs DRAMATICALLY. another key point is to bend your legs OUTWARD. it makes a huge difference.

as for mental things, i try not to think about the move that i am in the middle of doing. think about the move that you have to do next. your body will subconsciously (sp?) soak up the energy. takes a while to get the hang of, but it might help.

hope that helped

16. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Thanks a lot guy I will go and try your advice.

In my opinion watching smooth riders is extremely enjoyable so I am going to be focusing on this a lot.

Thanks again :bigthumb:

17. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

speaking of watching smooth riders- check out cotrials 12 around 3:15... smoothest drop ever. damn those sticky ass maxxis tires. all it takes is one knob...

18. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Ya Kevin that was real smooth. You deffinately used your "body" on that one. hahaha knee vs pavement.