Slaps - just something that helped me alot

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by alexm, Mar 10, 2004.

1. alexm

alexm Member

ok, Andrew T stated this in another post, and from hearing it elsewhere by another rider i thought i would try it out.

when touch/tap/slapping up to rear on a wall it is very important to let your front wheel spin freely the entire time. i thought i was doing this (when i wasnt) so i kept my brake finger on the front brake lever when tapping. when slapping high (in the vacinity of 4ft/120cm) walls i guess i would freak out a little and subconsciously tap my front brake a little, even though my lever pulls pretty close to the bar before the brake pads contact the rotor.

i started tapping with the hand that pulls my front brake wrapped completely around the grip, nothing contacting the lever, so no matter what i cant slow down the front wheel in any way. Since then i have becoem more consistant in my slaps and can go higher.

i recommend people try this, no matter how skeptical you are, just trying to help

Alex

2. 666

666 Guest

thanx, sounds like a good idea

3. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Thats exactly how I learned to slap yesterday.

4. Elan

Elan steve french

sounds good

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey im sorry, whats a slap?

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

it's like a pedal up but you slap your front wheel into the object as your going up. it's hard on a mod, i can't seem to get them, unless it's on accident. however, i can say when done on accident they do seem to give way better lift for your ups, although i tend to go slightly crooked....any other tips for learning? unfortunately i can only up 27" as of yesterday on my mod, so to learn taps i'd use a wall around 25", is that too low?

7. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I think for a stock the wall should be like 2.5feet or so. From what I understand is that you always want to tap in the same spot regardless of wall height (if it is a simple 90degree wall)

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I can tap on things 6" high just as 40" high. I learned it only when i was limited by my pedal up however.

9. 666

666 Guest

4o"..........wowser, thats high!!, could you put it on a vid??(i would buy), i don't know if hans rey can do that high

10. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

:ugh2:

11. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Hans rey isn't neccasarily the best rider, and people can up over 50"

12. 666

666 Guest

No....Hans not the best? thats funny :D

13. Elan

Elan steve french

What did the 5 fingers say to tha face?

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

40" isn't high, 666 knows this and he is just trolling. Basically doing what I did with tex avery but on this forum, I seriously thought you people would be smart enough to see this.

15. Elan

Elan steve french

16. 666

666 Guest

Andy Ty, do u tap 40 all the time, or just once in a while? im curious, cause if you do all the time, then you must can tap even more than 40"!!!! :eek3:

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I'll give in

Dewd ey once saw this illamatic mizzy gap like 50", it was hella core niga...then my gook-a-dook homie was like "HOLLER" and we video taped then sent to real tv and they sent me around $400 dollars!! I'm on MTV and ESPN now!

18. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

the thought ran across my mind, but i decided he was too :greddy: ....guess i was wrong :ugh2:

19. Paul

Paul Guest

I`d like to post a big THANKYOU to alexm (which I belive is Alex Markwart of CanberraTrials ? ) for poiting this technique out ( at least it was here the first time I read it ) .I tried it today and it really DID help me ALOT . Abit weird at the beginning,but very useful.Cheers!

Paul.

20. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Wat you been smokin boy? :cool:

seriously though? that be cool :bigthumb: