slap/touch hop

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by kamil, Mar 14, 2004.

1. kamil

kamil Guest

need a little advice, trying to learn this shit on a mod (x-lite) just wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to slap shit that starts getting around handle bar height (it's tooo steep to do it the way i've been doing it for the past while)... maybe someone has a video, or knows where i can get a vid of a mod guy slapin some shit.. (not litereal).

btw this is really gay ==> :joshers:

2. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

you have the front brake released right?

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i sometimes do it on my monty x lite mod. it's pretty tough, but be agressive with it. if my advice doesn't work for you don't worry because im only upping 27" as of late and you can up higher so you're probably better ;)
    but anyways, sometimes i just go for slaps and notice i need a little more forward lean than usual because your bike wants to go up more than usual.

4. kamil

kamil Guest

brake is off.
    i guess my problem is my bike is too steep to be able to get a good slap and pull up from it...i wish i had rocks to practice on, not ledges, i know you can slap lower on (some) rocks, but ledges... grrr

5. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i don't think that your bike is too steep, but a longer bike would definately contribute. maybe try and get a little bit more speed so you have less of an angle?
    my 2 cents

6. Justin.L

Justin.L Guest

:eek3: 2 cents??? ives wasted like $1.20 on postin? :down: :slap:

7. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

When I have more speed its easier for my to land on the rear wheel instead of two.

I almost feel like I am wheeling into it to actually slap up..

8. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Atleast you can slap up...I'm having promlems actually getting of the ground when I try to do anything pedaling. Pedal-ups really suck, I might get 3 inches off the ground. Unless I COAST to the ledge and try something...pedaling don't work out too well, LOL!

It's ghey, cause I can stop, and Pedal kick up something like 12-15 inches...but I can't pedal up a curb...gheyness maximus.....

9. Elan

Elan steve french

i couldnt pedal up anything until about 4 months ago... aha...

10. Pancho

Pancho Member

Slaps are something I have sometimes, and don't have most of the time. It was always hit or miss, until this weekend. Kevin and Mike S. showed me how it's done in about 5 minutes, and it really helped. I'll get video soon, but just today I got a slap up 4" over handle bar.

Pretend there is a little quater pipe right at the base, and picture the spot you're going to hit as the coping. Get close and either do a three pedal or four pedal, and pretend you are riding the quarter pipe. Something that helped me (not just in slaps, but everything involving pedaling) is to focus on spinning as quickly and smoothly as possible. Keep your weight foreward when you make contact, and push "through" the wall/rock right after you hit. Unfortunatly I can't really help you on where to slap, since you're on mod. Best of luck.

Kevin should probably comment, as he knows way more about it than me.

11. kamil

kamil Guest

i'll try the quarter pipe outlook on it next time i go riding...please get a vid up soon, i think it'd help alot, like some side profile shot of it, just so i can see the mechanics of it.

thanks.

12. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

i can tap on my mod no sweat.. its all skill.

13. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

maybe you should try and ride your bike and not sit and post in EVERY FUCKING TOPIC EVER!!!! go ride you godamn bike!!

14. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

and now your pedaling up waht...3 feet? haha
    pancho-PLEASE post a video. im finding my self and bike struggling with 27" pedal ups which is sooo small i know but im looking to learn slaps which maybe will help? i know if i practice more i usually get 1 inch higher every 2 weeks or what not, but slaps are going to be something i need to learn anyways as i get higher. anyways, post a nice slow mo of it :bigthumb:
    kevin or andrewt ed gildea or graham or anyone else that is good at them-any comments you make are sure to be welcome!

15. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

you kinda want to hit lower that you feel is good. but no to low. that is bad.. get up a little speed to. and compress you body just befor the wall, andpedal rite upto it and hit your front wheel (it will hit really hard) and explode just jump up and through your bike out in front and way up. ;) and stuff just mess with it. have fun, never get mad. it only makes things worse. take your time :)

16. Elan

Elan steve french

i could pedal up pretty high on my zoo...but with my new kocks, thats a different story..haha

17. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

When I got mad i threw my bike right up a 6 ft wall with no tap.With a big sucking sound.

18. Pancho

Pancho Member

Watch Co-11, some good slaps in there.

Another thing, when you find the spot you want to hit, look 4 inches below that spot. Focus on that spot (the one 4 inches below where you're actually going to hit) the entire time you approach, until you can't see it anymore.

Like Ed said, take off really close to the wall, sort of. Closer than you think anyway.

19. Elan

Elan steve french

iactually dont think i use the pedal up any more..i feel that the touch-up requires less energy..maybe not. it also looks less smooth..maybe i just forgot how to pedal up

20. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

You'll have to teach me elan, I'm afraid....very afraid.