Observed Trials banner

single speed

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Pancho 
#1 ·
I have 3 options

1) XTR short-cage deraileur + LX shifter - $100

2) 9spd XT deraileur + LX shifter + SRAM 7.0 cassette - $60

3) single speed

What do you guys think of the above two deraileurs for trials(oviously), I dont think I would be using the cassette.

The real question; Single speed, once the cassette is off (where a cass. tool is needed) All I need is a handfull of spacers and a cog, right? Wouldnt this put much stress on the hub? Do I need any special tools for this? Where do I get these spacers?

One more thing; will a 9spd deraileur work fine with an 8 gear cassette?

Thanks'

#5 ·
Well in order to run a single speed without any tensioners you'll need a frame that has horizontal drop outs. Otherwise you're going to need a tensioner of some sort. I recomend a 105 derailuer set to be used as a tensioner. Just take about two inches of cable with a cable stop on one end, thread the cable through the hole on the derailuer like normal, clamp lightly into the normal bolt, then with pliers pull it tight until the derailure has shifted into the proper gear.

On a related note, my new bike is going to have horizontal drop outs AND a derailure hanger, so I can run either whenever I want!

#6 ·
I dont see why I must have horiz dropouts to run single speed, yea its best, but is it really NEEDED? If I can find one of those cables stoppers that might be a good idea.

I dont think I can runa road set, I need higher gears than they usually offer.

I mostly worry about strees on the hub with a SS setup...?

#8 ·
Bloodhound said:
I dont see why I must have horiz dropouts to run single speed, yea its best, but is it really NEEDED? If I can find one of those cables stoppers that might be a good idea.

I dont think I can runa road set, I need higher gears than they usually offer.

I mostly worry about strees on the hub with a SS setup...?
what kind of cog are you running? 34? road cassettes goup to 27 which is bigger than any trials rider i have ever seen use.

single speed does not stress a hub any more than any other set up. why would it? you only ever put power into one cog... the only exception to this is cassettes like ultegra which have several cogs on a carrier spider.

yes, you do need horizontal drop outs.... how are you going to put tension on the chain. unless you find the perfect cog/ring set up to fit your chainstay length perfectly.... you need to have horizontal drop outs or you need to have a tensioning device.

dont blow your money on an xtr der for a trials bike. xtr rear ders are tough as nails but you can buy 3 105's for the same money i bet. dont run rapidfire shifters if you dont have to. since when do people shift all the time on their trials rigs? get that obnoxious knee killing shifter paddle out of the equation and run the cheapeset ass sram shifter you can find or get a 5 dollar friction shifter and throw it on your seat tube or something.

#9 ·
friction shifters are free...all you need is a screw driver and a cable cutter. voila!

oh yeas. there is no reason to run xtr on your trials bike, that is just senseless. i run a rapidfire cause it was free, a crapp sram gripshiter that is shaved off is fine. singlespeed is where im going eventually...i need a fancy tensioner tho.

#11 ·
Bloodhound said:
One more thing; will a 9spd deraileur work fine with an 8 gear cassette?
I didn't see an answer to this yet, so I thought I'd just say - yes. You can, what really matters is the shifter. Also, check into a king cog if you would like to put less stress on the hub than just a single gear. They're really fat at the bottom and super cool.

Bill

#15 ·
Pancho said:
Whoa, my post disapeared! I posted right after bloodhound's 2nd post but before Elan did, and now it is gone. Creepy, maybe I'm imagining it, after all I've had a rather long night/morning, but still.

Complete pointless, sorry....
And so begins the search for the missing post... I'm not sure exactly what's going on. Bike4ever seems to have lost his entire post count and I can't find his old posts. I need to check out the databases and make sure things are running smoothly.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.