single speed setup?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bmorekirby, Nov 5, 2004.

1. bmorekirby

bmorekirby I have bloody shins, yay?

which would you do? a ss hub with a white ind freewheel, or a single speed cassete hub? also, what is the good way to keep tension on the chain?

thanks,
    kirby

BTW I searched the forums already.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  2. aj2four0

aj2four0 New Member

You really searched?. This is all personal preference. I have a tensioner and a surly single speed hub with a freewheel on it. Works great.. there really isnt' a 'best' way. Depends on how much money you have, and what kinda style you like. If you have a more specific question please post. But... the 'whats best' line.. is never good. lay out some options/ideas on what you like, and i'm sure many people will be able to help you find something that will work great for you.

3. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

What about "common sense"

If you want keep able to use a 6,8,9 speed cassett (riding comps) use a standart mtb hub/freewheel with spacers + single cog( chris king cog if you dont want it to dig into it)

if you intend to keep single speed "fo everzn" use a single speed hub
    You can use a tensioner(cheap/light but they dont last that long) or a modefied erailleur

4. Elan

Elan steve french

i have a chris king 9spd hub on my bike witha surly tensioner, and one gear. have had 0 issues with it ever. i am runnin the same set up on my xtp, but slightly different. SS all the way.

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

SS ROCKS for maintenance. And if you have a frame with GHEY ASS hangers, it really raises your attitude towards sidehops cause you're not shittin your pants when a hanger bends....

Here's some shameless plugs of my SS rig....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Elan

Elan steve french

ill post pics of mine if i get a request

7. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

hey kirby,

i have a a couple trials deralrs lying around that you can have to see what works best for you. let me know if you want them.

8. GarthMc

GarthMc Active Member

Request! :Wavey:

Also oicdn, can you post a couple more pics of your Chain tensioner?? Would I be right in guessing you made it yourself?? I want to make one as well, but haven't really decided on design yet. I like the fact that your's isn't on the hanger

What are the advantages/disadvntages between the tensioner pushing up or pulling down?

Cheers
    -Garth

9. doctorT

doctorT Member

10. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

You can get some tensioners like the surly and dmr, and adjust the spring to give you down tension or up tension. Running them on up tension pulls the chain up, and gives it a better wrap around the cog, so the chain is guided better and has less of a chance to skip.

But, you can't run up tension on all frames. It depends what the chainstay length, and cog sizes are. It's possible to not be able to shorten the chain anymore, but have it touch the underside of the chainstay when you run up tension on it. This is the case on my 1065 with 22-19 gearing. If I ran 20 or 21 rear, it would probably work.

So you have to have the right setup for uptension to work, or use half links.