Sidehop with Injuries Included

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by Tris, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Tris

Tris Guest

Hey fella's...

Well i tried my first real side hop... it was only up onto a curb but, i'm guessing that i did it completely wrong! I peeled a layer of skin from the top of my foot to my knee, you could say i'm cooking bacon.

I've seen videos but it never looked as bad as this, hehe. I think where i went wrong was leaning the bike a little to the opposite direction to preload, and i probably didn't even have to preload. Anyway, my question is:

When i sidehop from a trackstand should i be trying to get both wheels up at the same time? When i tried it yesterday i did it but lifted the front wheel and tried to place it on the curb before the back wheel and my foot came off the pedal and damaged my leg, it's ugly.

Now i'm a little hesitant in trying it again but i wanna do it so freakin bad i'm prepared to peel away some more skin. Ouch!!

2. Tris

Tris Guest

Amazing what the ole search function will do for you. Anyway... I'd still like some input even though i'm using the search.

3. digby

digby New Member

shinguards help alot when your learning stuff.

4. Tris

Tris Guest

No shit, :rofl: I have to invest in shinguards.

5. digby

digby New Member

do you know how to bunnyhop yet? you shouldnt be trying to get both wheels up at the same time unless youre a mtn biker and have no clue how to jump. front wheel then rear wheel. also try keeping the middle of your foot on the pedal instead of just the ball of your foot. less chance of it slipping off and raping your shin.

6. Tris

Tris Guest

I guess i have no clue... and that's why i'm here. I guess i need some good video of a sidehop done properly. Thanks.

7. digby

digby New Member

if you dont know how to jump at all, it will probably be easier to learn how to bunny hop curbs than to sidehop them. just remember lift your front wheel first then your rear wheel.

there are lots of vids in the video section that have good sidehops on them.

8. Tris

Tris Guest

when you say bunny hops are you talking about: Riding towards a curb and bunny hopping over the curb, or bunny hopping over the curb when being parked perpendicular to it? I hope that isn't a stupid question...

9. digby

digby New Member

riding towards it.

Right now when you try to jump do your feet come off the pedals or does the back end of the bike come up with you in the air?

please tell me your not using toe clips or clipless pedals.

10. Tris

Tris Guest

If i'm riding directly at the curb i can bunny hop over it without hitting the curb... i have to have some speed, but yeah i can get over it pretty much everytime, and NO i'm not clipped in.

My feet stay on the pedals, and the ass end comes up and goes over the curb... i can do that half decent. From a stand still if i try to bunny hop [i'm a little afraid of hurting myself again]... my feet tend to come off the pedals a little bit.

I've seen lots of videos, some of those guys just park beside a picnic table and leap up and onto it. I'm having trouble with trackstanding by the curb and then being able to hop up on it.

11. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

I think what they would generally do is crouch down over the bike (pre-load) put in a short pedal stroke, bringing the front end of the bike up. When the front end is right up they move over the front of the bike causing the rear wheel to come up under them.

I think you may need to lean back, use your pedals a little bit, and dont try to just "jump". It needs to be more of a flowing motion, not a jerky one.

12. digby

digby New Member

thats probably why you got youre shinner.

try riding sideways next to the curb and bunny hopping onto it until youre comfortable with the movement.

then learn to trackstand better

then try sidehopping from a dead stop.

it comes with time and you gotta do alot of little steps before you can do the big ones.

13. Shorty2020

Shorty2020 Guest

i would personally say that learn to pedal kick first cause i did the exact same thing u did when i was learning and decided to push it aside till later. Well after i learned to pedal kick i tryed it again after i had alot of practice pedal kicking and well i can side hop up about 28 in or just ver 2 feet and over about 2 feet. Im not saying to stop trying it but it is easier once u have the concept of how to time ur pedal movements.

14. Tris

Tris Guest

That's awsome guys thanks for the input... Start small.

15. MontyBurns

MontyBurns Guest