Sidehop help

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by Stock, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Hey, I have a problem sidehopping. Instead of going with both wheels level onto the object, I always end up landing on rear wheel with a 90 degree pivot inwards.

Any tips? If I want to stay on the object I have to turn on my back wheel to get parallel with the edge lol.

2. skibum

skibum Guest

hey thorshammer, are you leaning into your sidehops or are you pushing more with your legs?

3. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

I'm pushing with my legs. I try to lean over but then I end up leaning the same amount when I land and fall over.

4. skibum

skibum Guest

pushing with your legs will only push the back end of the bike, that is why you are landing 90 degrees inward. You definetly want to lean. When doing a sidehop try to lean into it but also make sure that when you land your bike is on the opposite side and you are leaning to the opposite side that you started on. Like if you were to sidehop right: lean to the right, jump, push bike out to the right of you, then land. This will counteract the momentum that you have of going to the side. Does this make sense? If you don't push the bike out then your momentum will carry and you will fall to the direction you were leaning. First try only sidehopping a couple of inches up and a couple of inches to the left or right. Then depending on whether you are trying to gain height or distance on your sidehops, increase that an inch or so after you have nailed the last height/distance. Hope this helps, let me know.

5. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately, there is a considerable amount of snow on the ground so I will have to wait before I try this.

6. skibum

skibum Guest

send me a PM when you try it let me know how it worked out

7. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Hmm, I watched some videos, it seems like people lead with their front, point it a little bit sideways before they jump to the side. Worked a little bit better for me when I tried it that way :)